Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally pulled the trigger on an upgrade I've been wanting to do for awhile now. I got some 10" Yaffe Classic Apes with Arlen Ness Rad Teardrop mirrors and Yaffe Yafterburners grips/highway pegs. They are not installed yet, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were about all these parts. I would have liked to go 12" apes, but the expense of the extra cables and the increased amt of element exposure to hands drew me back. Everything I ordered is black (of course). What do y'all think? Any suggestions or thoughts that maybe I should consider? Thanks! ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371379127.928802.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371379192.555287.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371379203.833020.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371379381.305133.jpg
Just an example of bar height (not my bike):
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371379280.858111.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
595 Posts
Those will look awesome. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the rise bushings to poly ones. Apes add a lot of leverage and the polys help limit that.

I can't wait to see pics when you get done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I guess I was just looking for some pep talk, because I'm stumped between the 10" and 12" bars but I think that the 12" bars would require more cable purchases and up the price quite a bit. What r these poly risers ur talking about? What do they do?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I put 13" x 37" cycle smith bars on my SG. Yes the cables add to the cost but with the 1.25 bars and running the cables internally it looks better. I also went with the brake and clutch braided cables only added $20 to the cost. I personally like the looks and the way the bars fit me. I had to take the stock mirrors off and cover them with the kuryakin covers (not in this picture) Here's a picture of how it looks
ImageUploadedByMO Free1371447667.418535.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Thanks. I guess I was just looking for some pep talk, because I'm stumped between the 10" and 12" bars but I think that the 12" bars would require more cable purchases and up the price quite a bit. What r these poly risers ur talking about? What do they do?

Go 14's..... :thumbsup

The poly riser bushings are alot stiffer than the stock rubber, which will stop the bars from moving around, now that you have made them taller, thus amplifying/exaggerating how much they will move/shake, and will really move under steering/turning pressure.

one example

https://www.denniskirk.com/polyurethane-riser-bushings.pH50600.prd

·
Registered
241 Posts
So I finally pulled the trigger on an upgrade I've been wanting to do for awhile now. I got some 10" Yaffe Classic Apes with Arlen Ness Rad Teardrop mirrors and Yaffe Yafterburners grips/highway pegs. They are not installed yet, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were about all these parts. I would have liked to go 12" apes, but the expense of the extra cables and the increased amt of element exposure to hands drew me back. Everything I ordered is black (of course). What do y'all think? Any suggestions or thoughts that maybe I should consider? Thanks! View attachment 82513 View attachment 82521 View attachment 82529 View attachment 82545
Just an example of bar height (not my bike):
View attachment 82537

kicker......you can go up to 13" apes with no changes in cables or brake lines. I put Burly 13" bagger bars on my '13SG. you don't have to change brake lines but you do the clutch cable but it is supplied in the kit from Burly. btw I really like your choices so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts