Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had any experience with Orlando Harley Davidson's service work? I took my bike in while I was in Orlando and the service personnel was in my opinion the best of the best and I was very happy in how they treated me. However the work that the mechanic did on my bike was less than desirable. I had an accident where the bike was to be repaired which they did and aesthetically it looked great. I also had them do my 1000 mile service and three thousand miles later I started checking everything that they had done after I noticed something I didn't agree with. For starters they over-greased the steering head and driving down the road some of the grease got onto my black exhaust heat shields and burned into the finish. Secondly I had a flat tire i took the rear tire off and removed the brake caliper mounting bracket and when I put it back on and tried to torque it to specs (I checked HD manual 3 times to ensure I was correct) it spun. I looked at the threads and they had put in a heli-coil insert from when they stripped it out when they repaired it. If they stripped out the part due to incompetence or using an air ratchet its my opinion they should have put on a new part to replace it not used a heli-coil to repair it. Keep in mind this is a new bike and I don't want no stinkin heli-coil repair on it. I didn't pay $17,000 to have a bike patched up with heli-coils it was anew bike and I wanted it repaired as such. Thirdly when they adjusted my fall-away for the steering head they overtightened it to the point that it is at least 6 inches so way to tight it should be 1-2" max. I could maybe understand if it was too loose and from putting 4,000 miles on it maybe it loosened up but it was way to tight. Lastly they didn't have rear wheel alignment within specs. This may be picky but the specs in the manual says it should be within 1/32 and it was a little over 1/16 out of alignment.

What bothers me is that this dealership has a good reputation as far as I know for their service work. So if this is the type of work they are putting out it makes me wonder what the less reputable dealerships are doing that people have caught. I have heard many horror stories of dealerships that do all kinds of shady things like reusing spark plugs and oil and I'm not saying they are doing this but when it comes to them not taking time to do things according to spec that bothers me especially when it could be a safety issue. Harley Davidson and their engineers have reasons for those specs so why aren't they being followed?

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and one last thing..... I couldn't see any anti-seize on the rear axle when I removed it. It was starting to heat up and I could see some wear on the axle as a result.

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess no one on this forum has any experiences or opinions on this dealership or if what they did was common or reputable for HD dealerships. HD Forums seems to be a much more mature forum for questions than Harley-Davidsonforums.com so I'll pose the question over there or maybe in the V-Twin forums. I always get lots of responses there which surprises me that no one here has any input or advice on this one. I like using this forum much better but I guess Ill have to head there.

Thank you and if anyone does have any input I would still appreciate their opinions or experiences......

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Bought my RGC there . No service work done . Got a bunch of free stuff. I know no help.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
HD Forums seems to be a much more mature forum for questions than Harley-Davidsonforums.com so I'll pose the question over there or maybe in the V-Twin forums.
This is the part I`m surprised you did`t get any response to.
Guess we did`t want to show our immaturity.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I guess no one on this forum has any experiences or opinions on this dealership or if what they did was common or reputable for HD dealerships. HD Forums seems to be a much more mature forum for questions than Harley-Davidsonforums.com so I'll pose the question over there or maybe in the V-Twin forums. I always get lots of responses there which surprises me that no one here has any input or advice on this one. I like using this forum much better but I guess Ill have to head there.

Thank you and if anyone does have any input I would still appreciate their opinions or experiences......

So you are miffed because no one here has dealt with that dealership, and consequently didn't post a bash?

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Don't get huffy. Sales department was great. Got a hell of a deal.

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed I got one hell of a deal as well

Don't get huffy. Sales department was great. Got a hell of a deal.
I feel like I stole my bike because they screwed up the financing and they had already committed to the agreement so they honored it so that's respectable of them. ;-) and to previous comments I'm not looking for others to bash them. I'm looking for other experiences. I can almost guarantee if I complained to them they would tell me to bring it in and they would redo it But that's not an option since I am now 1100 miles from Orlando and I doubt they would do it correctly anyway. I'm trying to decide if I waste my time and effort to get them to realize their mistake and if what they did was acceptable by their standards. After adjusting my fall away I also checked the torque of the steering stem nut and lower and upper pinch bolts. They were all out of spec. They are either not torquing customers bolts or their torque wrench needs to be calibrated badly. I'm guessing they just give every bolt the spin and grunt method. For charging $470 for the 1000 mile maintenance and charging $96 per hour your damn right I expect it to be done right I don't that's unreasonable. But I also understand how the arrangement works between management and techs. They push push push and try to get the techs to be more and more productive. Managers probably make the assumption that the techs are doing everything to specs while the techs are getting hammered to be more productive and often end up cutting corners as a result. That's like the dyno scam they pull as well. I've seen dealerships that charge a flat $75 they say to tune a bike on a dyno. That's not possible if they are truly tuning the bikes. They can however apply a base map download from Harley and make one or two runs on the dyno make one adjustment but that's about it. But anyone that thinks they can tune a bike off one or two dyno runs doesn't know how to tune a bike to perfection. The other thing that gets me is the Harley super tuners is that once they are married to an individual bike it cannot be transferred to your next bike. That is a huge ripoff. Almost all other tuners can be moved from bike to bike.

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
I have been out of town and am just reading this for the first time. I have never set foot in the place so I have no opinion.

I use Seminole Harley Davidson I-4 in Sanford for service and they have been good to me so far.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I worked in Orlando when I lived down there a few years ago. I went in several times looking at buying a bike. Wasn't happy with the "deal" (yeah right) they wanted me to agree to... Ended up going to crystal river HD and got the bike and deal I wanted. If I was still down there, I would get my next bike there also!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't speak to service but the sale dept lied to me. They Harley would not let them sell the new 750 street. I know other dealerships were selling the bike. I called Harley and they said they would have to call the dealership. Sales manager then called said they wouldn't sell until they got their next shipment. After a number of promises cancelled order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts