Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking a trip cross country this july and looking for tips on packing .
any sights that help with packing an ultra classic for a long trip?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Pack all your holey and old socks and skivies and pitch them when done wearing. Some where along the way on a trip that long you have no choice but to do laundry. Towards the end you could pack dirty stuff and ups it home.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Pack all your holey and old socks and skivies and pitch them when done wearing. Some where along the way on a trip that long you have no choice but to do laundry. Towards the end you could pack dirty stuff and ups it home.

This.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts
I have found it nicer to ship a few boxes ahead to a couple locations. FedEx stores work. So do hotels if you know where you will be every couple days.

Unpack the new clothes, pack the used clothing and ship them back.

This fits nicely with using up crap you can toss out as previously posted. Socks and such that can be tossed instead of shipping home.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I have found it nicer to ship a few boxes ahead to a couple locations. FedEx stores work. So do hotels if you know where you will be every couple days.

This fits nicely with using up crap you can toss out as previously posted. Socks and such that can be tossed instead of shipping home.

That would work well if you knew you were staying at the same hotel or town for a extended visit.

Most of the time, we travel by weather, running from it or away from it with no concrete plans.

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts

That would work well if you knew you were staying at the same hotel or town for a extended visit.

Most of the time, we travel by weather, running from it or away from it with no concrete plans.
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/general-motorcycle-related/216153-what-items-always-your-bike.html

Don't take too many shirts. You are going to buy some along the way.

Roll your cloths tightly, they take up less room than folded.

Take a lot of pics, start a thread and let us live vicariously thru you!

:D
Wallyworld is your friend...socks and underwear are CHEAP . Wear..toss..replace.. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Many good answers for you so far. One that I haven't seen yet (that usually comes up), is to NOT over pack. Even after reading this and trying to not pack too much on my 9 day trip to Florida this past summer, I over packed.

There are several on here that apply to the "wear your old socks and underwear" theory. I don't. I want to be comfortable. I don't want thin worn out socks and ill fitting underwear. So I take my good stuff.

Another Tip I picked up is: to use the Under Armour mesh type underwear. You can wash these in the sink of your motel and hang them to dry. Will be ready to wear by morning. They also help with wicking away heat and moisture which helps with the red ass. Actually since trying these, they are the only thing I wear anymore. And you don't throw these away since they cost $20-$25 each.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts

Yes I agree.

We travel that way, but have one week milestones where we know we will be. We don't know how we will be getting there, but we know what day we will be in that location.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Even if you're chasing the cloudless skies to avoid storms, you usually know you're gonna be at some specific stop or turn around point mid-trip. So shipping a box ahead with clean fresh stuff, and shipping home dirty stuff is a great idea. Did that when I went to the Dragon. Still had saddle bags full, but shipped a bunch of stuff there and back(including a couple bottles of Jack Daniels) to meet us in North Carolina.

And despite what my wife may tell y'all....you CAN pack too many pairs of shoes. They take up way too much space and add too much weight. If you gotta pack something besides your riding boots, like a pair of tennis / running shoes, stuff 'em with socks or underwear.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Pack nothing but guns and cash. Sleep on the ground. Experiment with hallucinogens. Never come home.

Did I say that out loud?

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts
Pack nothing but guns and cash. Sleep on the ground. Experiment with hallucinogens. Never come home.

Did I say that out loud?
damn I need to party with you!!!!!:bikerguy::bikerguy:

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I'm also one that likes to use old sox and underwear, and toss them to make room for the things you'll buy.
Spend a little time watching "how to pack clothes" on Youtube. There are some good space saving ideas there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Go commando ,don't need no damn sox either. sleep on the ground and drink whiskey. When you can smell you self at 60 mph then speed up to 70 . When the stench gets unbearable roll around in the next creek you see ,don't spill the whiskey! Then get back on the bike and let the wind dry off.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts
These are also your friend if you don't use them at this time.

Does not have to be this brand, but the XSmall will make a rain suit fit in the bottom corner of a saddle bag. The small will hold a sweat shirt down to a softball (without the lesbians) size ball.

The large can take five days of underwear and socks (good socks, I am a proponent of good socks) to a small football size.

The picture is a link. Locally I have found real good prices at Cabelas and REI. They also come in water proof for a few more dollars which lets net bags hold some stuff on a top pack.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts