Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice from someone who knows their stuff when it comes to painting bikes. I'm gonna paint my FXR in either a matte, or a satin finish. I have been told there are 2 ways to do it, by either adding a flattening agent to the paint, or by painting it with normal gloss paint, and using a matte, or satin clear over the top.

My questions are: 1. Which one is better as far as hardness, durability, and scratch resistance?

2. What type of paint would be best for a matte, or satin finish? Acrylic, enamel, 2-pak etc?

3. Which finish, satin or matte, would be easier to look after?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
Over what? I'm pretty sure powdercoat can't be applied over other powdercoat, or paint.
Says who?

The clear satin powdercoat is applied over normal PPG paint.

The only difference between vivid black and denim black is that one gets a glossy powdercoat as a final coating, and one gets a satin powdercoat as a final coating.

ALL HD tanks and fenders get a powdercoat final step of one version or the other before it leaves the factory.

·
Village Idiot!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Says who?

The clear satin powdercoat is applied over normal PPG paint.

The only difference between vivid black and denim black is that one gets a glossy powdercoat as a final coating, and one gets a satin powdercoat as a final coating.

ALL HD tanks and fenders get a powdercoat final step of one version or the other before it leaves the factory.
Fair enough then. I'll have to look into that, and where I can get it done. I get a lot of parts powdercoated, and the guy always told me that all traces of paint or previous powdercoat needs to be stripped off first, for the powdercoat to work, as its heated to 180C and the paint burns, and ruins the job, or previous powdercoat melts and mixes together with the new also ruining the job.
Maybe there is some kind of low temp powder that they use for this purpose or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts