Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2009, garage kept, Ultra. While doing my "Spring cleaning" I have found that the paint on BOTH fenders is bubbled. I have called my dealer and HD customer service, and both of them say "not our problem".

Anybody else out there have this problem, and what have you done to fix it?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, both fendors? That sucks, never heard such a thing. Was it new or used when you bought it? I'm thinking it was painted and sold used, if so... time for some paint work. Problem is, a couple racing stripes may fix it but where else are the bubbles gonna pop up? My next project after replacing my shocks and adding fork springs is a LineX coating on all the tins. No more scratches, dings, dents and whinning. Got dirt or bird crap, get a scrub brush.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, both fendors? That sucks, never heard such a thing. Was it new or used when you bought it? I'm thinking it was painted and sold used, if so... time for some paint work. Problem is, a couple racing stripes may fix it but where else are the bubbles gonna pop up? My next project after replacing my shocks and adding fork springs is a LineX coating on all the tins. No more scratches, dings, dents and whinning. Got dirt or bird crap, get a scrub brush.
Id think about a gloss powercoat before linex, that crap is heavy, durable but heavy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
i am pretty sure he was being a smart a..

·
Registered
231 Posts
my heritage had the left decal sticking up above the clear coat and H.D. told me to fuk off. my dealer called them and they said i could have buffed on the tank. i swore then and there that i would spend as little money as i can on H.D. products.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I never thought about the weight of the LineX. I'm dead serious about doing my bike in LineX. I have seen a couple bikes done that way and I like it. I started out wanting just the front and bottom of the frame done, then saw a couple bikes and a buddy won a prize with his bike done that way.
I almost had the bottom of my bags done so it came up 2 inches from the bottom and then do the top of the bags. Then I decided to do all the tins in Dodge blue LineX.
I'm not into shine and paint and worrying about every little scratch. I want function over looks. But weight is an issue I hadn't thought of thanks 201.
>
Now I wonder why his paint is bubbling on both fenders. Any bubbles anywhere else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike was bought new. This is HD factory paint. Bubbles are rear fender below tail light and above the LED tip light, and front fender right side behind fork and top center below the triple tree. I have tire clearance all around, and no external rubs.

HD customer service said it's not a paint defect, and is a storage issue. I told them I had a 2003 Road King that lived in the same garage for 6 years and never had a problem. Hell, I have a Jeep that stays outside because the HD is in the garage, and it's paint is fine!

I just can't understand paying $20K for a motorcycle, and the paint falls off in 4 years.

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts
hahaha not our problem, we have seen a ton of these fenders from 08-09 do this, there was a issue with the undercoating. if the bike is in good shape, take it to your hd dealer and they will take pics and can submit it to hd as a goodwill claim, 90 % of them we have gotten covered and there is a 100$ good will fee usually assessed with it, but not bad for two new fenders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Service Guy.....You are my new best Friend. Do you have "proof" I can throw in their face?

Spoke to another dealer today who offered me 15% off two new fenders. I told him "Thanks, but no thanks". I need to follow this up the phone tree a little further.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I dont think "throw in their face" is a good approach

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts
i pm'ed you back, really no additional proof needed, the process is usually not the quickest, but a good dealer will get it taken care of for ya, or at least fight for ya. No joke we have done 50 sets of fenders here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Took Serviceguy85's advice and took the bike to the dealer. They took pictures and sent them to HD. HD still says it's not their problem and will not make it right because the paint warranty is expired! Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you reconcile to the fact that the repair is on your dime, I would recommend that you strip the fenders off yourself and have a local re-spray them.

I dinged up my Classic a few months ago. I bought a used front fender and had it re-sprayed with Harley paint including the decals and striping matched. While he was spraying, he also did my inner fairing, inner switch cover and speaker pod. My total cost was only about $100 more than just the fender through H-D. The only way you'd ever know is that his paint work is better than H-D's. He probably laid down twice as much clear and buffed to look like glass.

You wouldn't have to buy any new fenders. It would be less, and your bike would look better with the painted inner.

·
Registered
36,944 Posts
That looks like rust underneath the paint.

The first set of black powdercoated triple trees I bought from HD, they just powdercoated some rusty triple trees! Needless to say, they got sent back.

From then on, I had Sumax do my powdercoating for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts