Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down the line I would like to paint my ride. Has anyone repainted their entire bike? I have a road king and was wondering what kind of pricing I'm looking at.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
+1 on Diezels reply. You can give the same specs. to different painters and get the above variance. And, price alone does not guarantee the quality. You need to get references from customers.

·
Wayward Son
23,501 Posts
That sounds about right...................for a " CAR " !!!!! :eek
Nope. Like Diezel said.
Of course type of paint will contribute too.
Fairing? Hard bags? Going total tear down so the frame is painted to match.
Any body work for dents....
It all adds up. If you go to a quality body\paint guy you will pay.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Just last week I was quoted £1200 for the tank + fenders on my LowRider. That was for Eeerie Dess with a silver tank panel and a single coachline. I guess that would equate to approx $1200 your side of the ditch. If you want something really fancy $8000 is probably not that fantastic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Had a HOG member get his tank, fenders, and side cases in a beautiful metallic medium dark blue with clear coat. It looks perfect. Cost him $ 700.00.

·
Wayward Son
23,501 Posts
If you have a Friend, a painter in a good mood, someone trying to show off his work reasonably priced paint jobs can be had. In my case the painter was well established. But always looking for word of mouth advertisement.
T~S`s new clothes cost me about a third of what it should have cost. It was done in candy apple. About 30 coats total. The back fender was raw rolled steel. It was hand sanded first to minimize the need for filler. 2 small dings in the tank were taken care of.
All of this was only possible because of a Road Brother who was already Friends with the painter.
Sure. Less expensive jobs can be had. But a whole lot of variables go into the final cost.

·
OTL
610 Posts
Never painted a bike before, but I would imagine if you read up on how to do it, and had the time and space to do it...and rented the sprayer, you might end up money ahead-or completely F it up! I've heard that some of the best paints can cost hundreds per PINT.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Never painted a bike before, but I would imagine if you read up on how to do it, and had the time and space to do it...and rented the sprayer, you might end up money ahead-or completely F it up! I've heard that some of the best paints can cost hundreds per PINT.
Thing about it, you cant screw up beyond repair, worst case, your out the money for paint and your time and you sand it down and start over....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
All the above!!

I've painted several of my non-harley bikes and they looked as good as some paint jobs I paid for!!

There are tricks and with anything, experience goes along way!

Friend just had another friend who is a well known painter do a four color paint job on his Harley and it is very nice.They did a little wheeling and dealing, and he waited a long time for it to be finished!

·
Road Junkie
1,957 Posts
Agree. @Diezel needs to update his estimates to reflect inflation rates. :devil

Reactions: Kainam
1 - 20 of 21 Posts