Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning everybody. Hoping someone can give me some tips on my new tour pack. I bought an aftermarket chopped tour pack that is white gelcoat. I want to paint it myself, but I've never worked with fiberglass. The surface is not smooth and my question is, should I sand the gelcoat or prime it and then sand? After I paint it, should I wet sand the paint and then clear coat it or wet sand only after I clear coat it? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Use buildup primer than sand after three coats of paint clear coat and color sand until smooth and even then buff for gloss.Use a base coat clear coat process urethane paint.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. When you say color sand, is that the same as wet sanding? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far all I've done is put the seat backrest on.

It will take a while, I only have time to work on it on the weekends.

·
Hard Member
3,250 Posts
Nice looking tourpack! When I did mine, I checked for imperfections, and corrected with a light body fill. buy 1500 and 2000 sandpaper and wet sand, dry will gouge into the gel coating. This will remove any silicone in the surfaces. Once you prime, wet sand to get any over spray and imperfections out. Use a tack cloth to remove dust. 3 even coats of the color of your choice will be enough. ensure you don't have any imperfections on your paint, then clear coat. I gave my tourpack 3 coats, giving it time to dry between coats but if you have a heated booth the process is faster. Let it sit and cure, then wet sand with 2000 paper to smooth out. The polishing is another story and I am not the man for that subject, I burned the paint a few times.

·
Hard Member
3,250 Posts
I was postponing the touch ups on mine, I was riding to a wreath laying ceremony next week. Since I got screwed over the patching in, I will start my project on .Monday

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it finished today. I wet sanded it and polished it with my random orbital polisher. It turned out pretty good for a first time doing something like this.

I didn't like the looks of the hinges that came on it so I bought the premium hinges. I've got to find some kind of emblem or decal to put on the back.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
From the pictures I'd say it turned out great! That looks like a much better job than I would do.....Congrats...great work

·
Hard Member
3,250 Posts
Glad it came out good. Decided on painting stripes on mine so the winter project is on!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts