Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Looking to get some answers about painting my tank. I’ve been contemplating doing some custom mural type work on my tank, but I’m not really sure about the types of paint that would work best. I would be hand painting the thing so spray just won’t work. Also curious about the best options for the clear coat.

·
Registered
43,145 Posts
Best option would be a powder coat clear.
Next a acrylic urethane.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
This is what I used and it is fantastic. Once mixed you have 48 hrs to use it all. Easy to use as well.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
Paint colors are a personal choice. I went with a red metal flake on my Sporty since it was readily available and easy to spray on. I finally figured out how to rattle can something the correct way and it came out good. Takes patience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no no, the paint brand, I get the color is a preference. Just wondering about what kind of paint works best. I want to hand paint a design on the tank, and I am not any good at rattle can. But I can paint like a mother fucker.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,343 Posts
Acrylic enamel paint. Then a powder coat clear or acrylic urethane like Kainam suggested.

You'll definitely want the clear coat, but as far as the paint under the clear, acrylic enamel. Make sure you get good stuff for automotive applications that's got UV protecting stuff in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts