Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't believe how rude disrespectful one coach was to the umpire the other coach and his own players, got a parent all bent out of shape. so the young umpire ejected the coach and parent got threatened. so he call the head of baseball commission who came down stopped game, got yelled at called the PD . All the while his team was winning. So his team lost cause a ball should have been called a strike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
I loved going to watch youth baseball and softball games, but some parents and coaches ruined it for me, I don't go anymore

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my grandson plays. he started at 4 he's 9 now plays good that's why we go but some patients need to stay home. some on my grandsons team need taken down a peg or two. one dad made his boy cry cause he ducked a ball that would have hit him in head. dad said stand in there and take a hit like a man not duck like a pussy. it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
It used to be that the rest of the dads would take that upstart parent out behind the bleachers and "set him straight". ;) Can't do that so much anymore without going to jail.:mad

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
It used to be that the rest of the dads would take that upstart parent out behind the bleachers and "set him straight". ;) Can't do that so much anymore without going to jail.:mad
That's what pillow cases are for. He don't need to know who's settin him straight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A friend of mine and his wife were those parents.... The one son was quite a wrestler, in fact became state champ in his weight group. Funny story was one day Trey did not want to go to a wrestling match, but the folks forced him to go, when the match started he just lay down and got pinned....

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Funny you brought this up. The other evening while driving to my Grandson's game, I thought about how mellow the people were at this particular ball field. The officials run a tight ship. As for the parent who made his kid cry for ducking a ball, he should be chained to a fence and have someone bean him in the head for awhile. Those balls hurt! The main thing is to support the kids and help them learn life's little lessons and self esteem. Just my opinion.

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Most of the time you are just dealing with a bunch of frustrated Jocks, especially the coaches.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
My son plays for a "select" team. It can be a PITA, but it has it's advantages.

Before he was selected to play (after a tryout) the coach gave us a letter. It basically stated that any sort of inappropriate chatter from the stands and your son will be released from the team. Any attempt to "coach" from the stands and your son will be released from the team. It was made very clear that there is an expected level of conduct from both the player and the parents.

League rules state - and you sign the form when you register - that any obscenity from the stands is automatic grounds for ejection, and you will be asked to leave the park. Any harassment of the umpires or coaches and you will be asked to leave the park. There is a county park ranger at every game.

It's a little hardcore, but it does make for a better environment for the kids. Plus, the coaching and overall quality of play is far better. Those who don't like it always have the option of playing in an open league.

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts

Before he was selected to play (after a tryout) the coach gave us a letter. It basically stated that any sort of inappropriate chatter from the stands and your son will be released from the team. Any attempt to "coach" from the stands and your son will be released from the team. It was made very clear that there is an expected level of conduct from both the player and the parents.

League rules state - and you sign the form when you register - that any obscenity from the stands is automatic grounds for ejection, and you will be asked to leave the park. Any harassment of the umpires or coaches and you will be asked to leave the park. There is a county park ranger at every game.

It's a little hardcore, but it does make for a better environment for the kids. Plus, the coaching and overall quality of play is far better. Those who don't like it always have the option of playing in an open league.
Those rules should be the standard!!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I've been involved in baseball for over fifty years. I've coached Little League, Babe Ruth, American Legion, high school, college and semi-pro teams. I have seen some things that would curl your hair. I made it a point, early in my career, to set a standard for behavior on the field. Even being the highly competitive SOB that I am, I did not waver in my beliefs. I'll toot my own horn here; I've won numerous HS league championships, a state title in 2011, been named league Coach of the Year as well as state Coach of the Year. And guess what...as a player or a coach, I've never been tossed. When my two children were playing, softball, baseball, volleyball, football and basketball, I allowed the coaches to coach, and the umps and refs to do their jobs. I also allowed my kids to fail. Unlike a lot dipsh*ts out there, I understood that youth sports were not about me. Just my .02.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
It don't make since, my youngest son played t-ball. Some of the parents were azzhats. My son was chosen to play on the all-stars, a parent (woman) got in my face an explained in a very nasty tone why her son should have been chosen for the all-star team. I told her it was the coaches decision...she stomped off in a huff....i ain't never seen the like.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
My younger brother is also a HS coach. Last summer he was asked to help out an "All-Star" team of 13 year old players, one of which was his son. The parents were so bad the head coach quit, and it landed in my brother's lap. It was one of the worst experiences of his life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I coached little league for a couple year. We live in a very small town so the all the kids make the team, good or bad. I always tried to get every kid in every game. One day I pulled one kid out to put in another and his mother came over and started chewing my butt. She told me there was plenty of room in the outfield for 1 or 2 more players. I started laughing and had to walk away. Her husband apologized later and we were both laughing!

·
Registered
377 Posts

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
About twelve years ago, I had an irate mother come to my house to chew my a** after a high school game. I told her to get off my property before I forgot I was a gentleman. She was pissed because an underclassman was playing ahead of her POS son. Last night the underclassman hit one off the wall, driving in the winning run for the Memphis Red Birds. They are the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. So she can kiss my rosy red a**.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think when you get to the high school level the best players should be playing, unless maybe it's a blowout. At the younger ages I like to see everybody get to play. Maybe not the whole game but at least some of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts