1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get another Harley, but it will be parked during the
riding season on asphalt; no underground parking. I'm sure
moisture will rise from the asphalt seeping into the bike. Is
there anything I could place under the bike to repel moisture?
Thank you for your comments and answers.

Attachments

·
Just Ride
3,843 Posts
Will you have access to power?

·
Just Ride
3,843 Posts
Local marinas or boat dealer have a solution for you. I think it's called damp away.

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
You could try DampRid, but I doubt it could keep up. My guess is you'd do better uncovered than covered when it comes to keeping moisture out/off.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
If you have a dedicated parking spot for her, you could try putting a rubber mat down to park on.

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
If you have a dedicated parking spot for her, you could try putting a rubber mat down to park on.
A rubber mat would be good. And I wouldn't rule out a bike cover. Even most of the medium grade/priced covers are vented to ward off condensation and a cover will reduce sun fading and keep the rain off.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Look into a rental storage. Be safer and may have power access for a battery tender.

·
luv the low country
20,619 Posts
SoftailBilly;3613706[B said:
]Look into a rental storage[/B]. Be safer and may have power access for a battery tender.
+1 Best idea. That, or a relative's or friend's garage/shed.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Any kind of barrier would help, even a plastic sheet on the ground. Just don't cover her too well. You want to allow the moisture to escape.

·
Retired citizen
24,344 Posts
I doubt anything is going to help with the bike sitting outside, it'll rain and what ever is under the bike will suck up the water. Plus the rain is going to get the bike wet !
Best to just keep the bike as clean and waxed as possible.

·
Former Lurker
3,713 Posts
I had an well waxed 03 that lived outside for a few months and ALL the chrome started to rust in no time. All the joints and even the flat surfaces started rusting almost right away.
I had a kaw 1000 that lived outside all through college and never had any rust on the chrome.
If I didn't like my HD's so much, I would not be able to overlook this lack of quality...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an well waxed 03 that lived outside for a few months and ALL the chrome started to rust in no time. All the joints and even the flat surfaces started rusting almost right away.
I had a kaw 1000 that lived outside all through college and never had any rust on the chrome.
If I didn't like my HD's so much, I would not be able to overlook this lack of quality...
I've been keeping my 2007 Kawasaki 650R outside for years under a tree and under a cover. Bike's still mint. Do you think the Harley has a lack of quality in the chrome?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
had my wide glide out side for a while and yes in la the chrome was starting to rust but i was riding every day and didn't have any choice but to park out side I would not cover to much as even the ha covers with vents will let humidity build up

·
Former Lurker
3,713 Posts
I've been keeping my 2007 Kawasaki 650R outside for years under a tree and under a cover. Bike's still mint. Do you think the Harley has a lack of quality in the chrome?
Yes, I do.
I have had a number of Japanese bikes and never had any chrome/rust issues.
I always hoped that it was because they were trying too hard to pump out as manny 100th anniv bikes in 03 that their qual control slipped a little. Not so. I had afriend at work a few years ago and his 07 lived under a carport in SC and it started to rust in no time...

I just made sure from then on to have them inside and avoid too much rain. Up north I made sure it never went out while there might be salt on the roads. When were renting a house w\ no garage after a job change is when I spent big$$ on a really nice enclosed trailer just to be sure...
I love my HD's but am not real impressed with a lot of aspects...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Mine's been outside the better part of 2 years and no rust on the chrome. Most likely area dependent, stating the obvious of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts