Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...

As I have just bought a Harley and had just arrived in the US a few months ago to work here for the wine harvest, I do not know much of how things work in the country. But I am learning.
I would like to ask a few questions and if anyone can help, I would highly appreciate it.

1. To start with, I bought a Harley Sportster 883 low, 2005 model.
She is a beauty and was a great deal. She has the company standard features and is sierra red pearl color.
For good or bad, I like black. So I was wandering if there is any place or Internet space where someone could exchange parts of his bike with other similar. I can imagine that the best way to do it would be to sell my parts and buy used ones from ebay and so on but was looking into the easy solution, if any!

2. To continue with, I wanted to take her back in my country, once I finish with the work here. Does anyone have any idea what the cheapest option to ship a bike to Greece (or anywhere in Europe) would be?
I got a quote from a roll on roll off shipping company for 1600USD!?
WTF... I am not buying a new bike, I am just shipping one!
Is that the regular price or I should I search further into it?

thank you for reading this guys and gals...

Ride safe and go with the wind!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe check out craigslist for your area or local swap meets. yeah shipping items overseas is expensive idk exact price but it woulda cost a friend almost 3000 to ship their Truck over so they sold it and bought something over there. I see slot of people sell beds and furniture for next to nothing because it cost more to ship then buy new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Your best bet, would be to have the pieces painted. Unless you can find a motorcycle wrecking yard close by. As to shipping, from what I've been able to learn, 1500-2000 USD is what the shippers get. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but typically there are a number of import duties that you would also be liable for on the shipment of a motor vehicle to another country. In addition you may have to convert the bike from the standard US gauges to metric (MPH verse KPH). If I were you, I’d definitely check into those issues before even attempting to send something overseas, as the costs might be way more than the bike is worth.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Greetings...

As I have just bought a Harley and had just arrived in the US a few months ago to work here for the wine harvest, I do not know much of how things work in the country. But I am learning.
I would like to ask a few questions and if anyone can help, I would highly appreciate it.

1. To start with, I bought a Harley Sportster 883 low, 2005 model.
She is a beauty and was a great deal. She has the company standard features and is sierra red pearl color.
For good or bad, I like black. So I was wandering if there is any place or Internet space where someone could exchange parts of his bike with other similar. I can imagine that the best way to do it would be to sell my parts and buy used ones from ebay and so on but was looking into the easy solution, if any!

2. To continue with, I wanted to take her back in my country, once I finish with the work here. Does anyone have any idea what the cheapest option to ship a bike to Greece (or anywhere in Europe) would be?
I got a quote from a roll on roll off shipping company for 1600USD!?
WTF... I am not buying a new bike, I am just shipping one!
Is that the regular price or I should I search further into it?

thank you for reading this guys and gals...

Ride safe and go with the wind!
Your cheapest bet is to pack it in a "Sea Worthy Crate" before shipping. Look that term up if you don't know it. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replies!

I found this video online and this guy says he shipped his bike in Europe for about 500 USD!
The company he used does still exist and their costs for some European countries are quite good actually but it is a port to port and roll on roll off service, which means you have to deliver the bike and pick it up yourself at each port and it is not the best way to transfer a bike unless you crate it. Will probably have to pick it up from Barcelona and ride it to Greece if it works out with this option. Absolutely no problem with that!

Will keep looking into it. Have also tried to find info on the import costs which can be quite a pain indeed!
But I bought the bike for 3300 and aiming at 1700 costs to ship and import. That is still way cheaper than buying it there.

As for the parts... painting, i have thought about it but would probably be almost same price as buying used parts. Really the charges here are unbelievable in some cases!
Did not think about the wrecking yard. Thanks for the tip bobf.
And thanks agent smith for the things to be aware of.
And thanks webco2 for the info. Will check it.
And brodie I have no idea what local swap meets (it sounds like greek to me, the greek :p) but will find out.

thanks y'all!

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Just remember the old adage, you git what you pay for....just my opinion, but i would'nt trust those guys with my lawnmower.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Take it apart, put it in boxes, ship, reassemble back home? More risk in a box getting lost... but that is another alternative, right?

This is coming from a guy that loved to assemble those Revell model kits :) So it might not be a practical solution/alternative.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No idea on the shipment cost but I wouldnt doubt it was 1500 plus. A local dealer here regularly has swap meets and such. Yours may also. You may even be able to find a facebook page that does the same.

·
Registered
373 Posts
One other way to do that would be to go to your local dealership and see when bike night style events are and tag along strike up convos with some of the people and ask them about used parts in the area. That's where I found a local motorcycle swap meet by me and have got some great deals. Also you get the added joy of looking at other peoples bikes and most people love talking about their bike and how they haggled the guy down to 50bucks for their pipes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zeta7... peace brother!
though I do see your point about some people being alive, imagine a world where anyone would kill anyone who was not made according to his standards!
Man I am telling you... it would not look good!
As for the trust on these guys and the old saying, I do see your point and agree. Will have to thoroughly check liability, insurance and all that stuff.

Wachuko: Though I have been trained in Food Engineering and I am quite good at it, my knowledge in mechanical engineering is unfortunately not that evolved!

Bayonet and Brodie (once again) thank you for bringing that to my attention. Will definitely get in touch with the local dealer. And chatting with dudes and dudines who are into riding does not sound bad at all!

Cheers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts