Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Road King Special
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have an electrical question. I have these passing lamps, and they have the ability to also be used as turn signals. I ride a 2018 RKS. There’s one lead from the headlamp and one from each passing lamp(see pics). I know they need to be spliced into the turn signal harness, but there are multiple wires, and I’m an electrical amateur. I tried tapping into the blinker wire, but nothing happens and the regular turn signals too working. I’ve tried a variation of combinations, but I’m still missing something. They are great lights and are very bright. They came as a set with a headlight as well. These lights don’t have instructions. Thank you Amazon. I’ve attached pictures of the passing lamp and headlight connectors, as well as the link the product on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M4FM68B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Font
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Your 2018 has a CAN BUS wiring system, be careful of what your are doing. Get the wiring diagram for your bike and don't try to just splice in to existing wires. DRL = Daytime Running Lights, Your headlight and front turn signals act as that already, so there is a source for that.

Reactions: Breeze3at

·
Registered
2018 Road King Special
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your 2018 has a CAN BUS wiring system, be careful of what your are doing. Get the wiring diagram for your bike and don't try to just splice in to existing wires. DRL = Daytime Running Lights, Your headlight and front turn signals act as that already, so there is a source for that.
Yeah. That's probably smart. I've asked around a lot and no one seems to understand how to do it. I've looked at a diagram, but still no luck. Local harley and other shops are stumped as well. At least the white light works well. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
461 Posts
First, I would take the aftermarket light and test the wiring. See what each wire actually does, and note what the amp draw is.

1 possibility is that the yellow line is a ground. Weird. But it could be that the aftermarket lamp is ground side switched. It should not be.

If the yellow line is positive, it could be flashed by way of a flasher relay.

I would suggest that you also double check which wire you tapped. What you want to do is tap into the positive turn signal wires. On my bike, it's violet and brown. In theory, you are adding a lamp by creating a parallel circuit.

Font Parallel Diagram Musical instrument Audio equipment

Audio equipment Font Tableware Gas Technology

1 - 6 of 6 Posts