Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.... I want to install highway pegs on my chrome crash bars. The pegs are chrome too. Do I mount the chrome clamp directly on the chrome crash bars or do I put something in between to keep it from being metal on metal and possibly leaving a mark(s) on the crash bars?
If I put something in between, what would you suggest?

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Directly onto them is how I've seen them and how mine are. Helps to have the bike upright like in a chock and then have extra hands there to get them where they need to be while you're sitting on the bike.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I've always seen them clamped directly to the bar, metal on metal. And yes, they will leave a mark. I don't know how you would avoid that.

--

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've always seen them clamped directly to the bar, metal on metal. And yes, they will leave a mark. I don't know how you would avoid that.

--
Years ago, I cut an old bicycle inner tube to the exact fit and placed it between the peg mount and the bar. This extra friction also kept the peg from trying to move under any kind of extra foot pressure.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts

--
Wonder if you coated the inside of the clamps with some anti-seize might prevent it , dissimilar metals as the inside area isn't normally chrome ?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I always put masking tape between the clamp and bars just until I get them where I know I want them forever, then remove the tape. I never get things right the first time.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
It all depends on the type of hiway pegs. Some clamps don't allow enough room for anything or the fasteners could break the clamp if over tightened, Kuryakyn pegs come to mind.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I've always mounted mine metal to metal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts