Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of people wearing shorts an even worse wearing flip flops on bikes. Is it just me or is this insane. Besides a third degree burn not counting the road rash of shorts the flip flops, dropping your foot for a second your toes would be a red mist. I'm not talking about helmets. I can see the rational on that. I have seen these same folks wear full face helments though. Opinions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I got in a pretty big accident with shorts and no helmet in New Orleans (2001), I was only going 3 miles total. I dont do the flip flops thing though, I need good footing. I still wear shorts and short sleeve shirt though. I avoid I-95 unless I have the full face and long pants. Honestly, the shorts tore where they hit pavement anyhow so pants would have not helped much.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Jeans are a false sense of security. You get road rash right through them. The flip flops I just dont get. I dont even own a pair of those things. First off they look freakin' ghey! Seriously though you would grind your toes right off if your feet even touched the ground while moving.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,010 Posts
I mostly see the no shirts, shorts and flip-flops on the crotch rocketeers down here. Agreed, the cloth doesn't stop road rash...got the scars to prove it, but it do help with sunburn. I can't make myself ride without helmet, boots, and gloves though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I admit it. I wear shorts and T's on short trips to the grocery store or hardware store. But, it's close to 100° in Houston already and it's only the beginning of June. I always wear a helmet, even if it's just moving my bike in my driveway.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I'm not gonna argue the negative or positives about apparell, but for me; I MUST have boots on, I won't go around the block with tennis type shoes. Long pants are a must. A helmet (novelty is ok), and usually some sort of gloves (palm protection). I prefer long sleeves, but often ride in t-shirt. That's for local riding. Road trips find me wearing as much protective gear as the heat allows.
I wear flip flops around the house and pool all the time. Almost daily I do something dumb because of them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Steel toe chippewa Super loggers, jeans and a hoddie at all times! hat turned backwards, no helmet and glasses! I have forward controls so i can shift in flip flops or sneakers LOL

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
I would rather hit jeans on the pavement before skin. I know there's not much protection there but that's my opinion. As far as the flip flops go, I see it here all the time and think it's insane. Stub your toe once while trying to come to a stop and you probably wouldn't do it again.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of people wearing shorts an even worse wearing flip flops on bikes. Is it just me or is this insane. Besides a third degree burn not counting the road rash of shorts the flip flops, dropping your foot for a second your toes would be a red mist. I'm not talking about helmets. I can see the rational on that. I have seen these same folks wear full face helments though. Opinions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I wear my shorts cut-off shirts and flip-flops or deck shoes all the time during the summer when I ride the bike to the lakehouse...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I wear shorts and a tee all the time for around town riding. Of course around Chicago "around town" means a totally different thing. I could easily go on a 2 hour ride and never get faster than 35mph and for no longer than a quarter mile without a stop sign or light.

I wouldn't wear flip flops because it hurts to shift. However, when it is 105* with 90% humidity you bet your [email protected]@ I wear them off the bike.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Used to wear shorts till I burned my leg on the pipe.......never again.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Used to wear shorts till I burned my leg on the pipe.......never again.
I get burnt just about every time I ride thanks to my the way my factory seat sits me.... Aftermarket seat is $1K.....Can't afford that rifht now.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Helmet, long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots and gloves. I've moved mine around the yard in shorts when it's cold and I've yet to do it and not touch something with my leg that would ordinarily be hot. I stay cooler in the heat with long sleeves, even my helmet helps protect my head from the sun. I could not imagine riding in shorts and flip flops (which btw I despise).:2cents

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I grew up a water rat, so I love the lake, river, ocean, pool, etc...Shorts, flops, or deckshoes is second nature to me, and my preferred thing to wear. During the summer I dress like a beach bum...

·
Banned
482 Posts
I see no difference in wearing shorts and not wearing a helmet. It's a choice and gamble some take. You go down you're going to get hurt. So for those that don't wear helmets but poopoo shorts, exactly what makes your choice better than the other? I don't get it. You live by "it's my life my head". Why the difference with "my life my legs"? Just trying to understand the logic. Sorry if I seem like I'm stirring the pot but I really would like to know the difference.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I see no difference in wearing shorts and not wearing a helmet. It's a choice and gamble some take. You go down you're going to get hurt. So for those that don't wear helmets but poopoo shorts, exactly what makes your choice better than the other? I don't get it. You live by "it's my life my head". Why the difference with "my life my legs"? Just trying to understand the logic. Sorry if I seem like I'm stirring the pot but I really would like to know the difference.
I think there's a big difference. You're not going to die from a leg rash, but a head injury can easily kill you or paralyze you.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I think there's a big difference. You're not going to die from a leg rash, but a head injury can easily kill you or paralyze you.
Oh I think you could easily bleed out from a good leg rash laying in a ditch where nobody finds you till the next day.....Just sayin'.
Plenty of folks die with full face helmets securely attached.
Wife is an ER nurse and has seen it all.
When it's your time to go that's it you are done.

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
At least jeans will keep the burn marks off your leg. People who ride in flip flops will soon ride without toes. It's a free country ride how you want. Everyday we take risk at some level. It should be ones choice. Doesn't mean I don't think you're F'd up.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
At a minimum - jeans, long sleeve Kevlar mesh shirt, half helmet, leather gloves, steel toe boots. For long rides I also wear leather chaps and leather vest.

Shorts - I don't want burned
Flip flops - I like the skin right where it is on my feet thank you very much, ALTHOUGH it would be one hell of a way to get rid of the calluses on the heals.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts