Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Steve
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be a shot in the dark with so few members but thought I would throw it out there anyway. I have a 95 Softtail Springer. Those of you that have seen my Vrod know I love the low ground pounder look with a wide rear tire. I have been thinking of installing Performance Machines "Phatail" kit. Its a bit pricy especially with the cost of new wheels and tires. The total cost would probably approach half the value of the bike! (....where is the head banger smilie Max....). My Vrod is done so now I need a new project(....head banger again....). It looked pretty straight forward until I started reading about transmission main and counter shafts. I like to do as much work on my bikes as possible but have not done motor or transmission work. Does anybody have experiance with this kit and if so any thoughts on a decent (non professional) mechanics ability to do it?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
There are many alternatives ranging from easy on the pocket to outrageous, as well as fairly simple for the average tinkerer, to demanding on a professional.

What you have to decide on firstly, is budget, then how wide, and how low.
Width is swingarm dependant, so up to 200 fits with stock swingarm and primary and tranny, wider than that and you need a swingarm. Wider than 240/250 you need to offset the primary and tranny. No need to go internal and change out shafts - that for TC's.
If you like laced wheels (I do on a springer) then wheels become a lot cheaper. Custom billet matching wheels, pulley and rotors are $$$.
You can retain the stock rear hub and get a rim and spokes to lace up a rear wheel keeping the front to match, like I say up to 200. Wider than that, and if you change out the swingarm, better go with a wider hub, or a complet byilt wheel.

Also check out Warneke&Faust for some ideas.

I am building up a rigid with a 230 rear, proper suicide shift (foot clutch, no front brake) and kick-start only - doubt many will ask to take that round the block!!!

Lemme know along what lines you thinkin, and I will help you get where you trying to go!

·
Steve
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AJ,

Thanks for the response.......I definitely want to go wide in the back. 250 or better yet a 280/300. I like the look of the PM Phatail swingarm but am open to suggestions if there are others out there. Did I understand your note correctly that I won't need to get into the motor/tranny to change out the shafts?

Regarding budget.........while the $$'s are important ( I want the best bang for the buck) it is not the deciding factor in this project.

Any help will be appriciated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Steve, with a wide tire the obvious main challenge is to movethe belt over to the left in order to clear the tire.
This can be done in different ways, or combinations.
Firstly at 250 or more, you going to need a new swingarm.
You will also need to move the tranny over and that means also moving the primary over.
Like I said before, there are different ways of getting the final drive belt over enough to clear the tire.

Keep in mindthe tranny and primary are weightsome, so moving them over a great deal will affect balance, as will off-setting the rer wheel.

Come bak to me with more ideas, and lets as they say "get-r-dun"!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://heartlandbiker.com/ Saw these guys in Laughlin last year they said they where coming out with a kit for the pre 2000 bikes. There kits for the 2000 + bikes where inexpencive with a laced wheel.

http://hawghalters.com/ Is one i see in the rags all the time. Prices dont look too bad but if i remember right the Heartland was about the same price with the wheel.

Tony

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tranny Spacer

The biggest issue you will have with the PM setup is that offset primary. The kit pushes the primary out and the output shaft is not designed for that. The thinner nut that they use has a tendancy to spin itself loose and can become quite bothersome. I have a buddy who has a PM fat tire kit on his standard, and it looks cool, but it's been under the wrench an awful lot during this riding season. On the plus side, I've gotten pretty good at ripping apart the primary!!!! The best bet is to have the longer output shaft put on and be done with it once and for all.

The belt on his 240 setup rubs the swingarm on the bottom, no matter how we try to adjust it. Take a look at the RC components single sided swingarm look as well. I think that looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did the PM Phat tail kit on my Softail with a set of Weld chrome flare series wheels. My advice to anyone who wants to keep a bit of their sanity while doing this, is to use PM wheels with this kit. Major pain with the on again off again a million times to get everything as far as wheel spacers etc. to get this kit to fit and work properly. My guess from asking around is that depending on the style of wheels you wanted is that the PM wheels will take you less time to get as well. Don't get me wrong these Weld wheels are beautiful but based on recent experience it was quite a lengthy wait for them. Thanks to Jerry from Hogpro for the help.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
If you know how to take off your primary down to the inner cover. You could handle pulling the gear set out of the tranny.
Look for a right side drive kit!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts