Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell where on off and reserve are on the petcock when i just have a nob with a harley logo?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I'd bet that if the logo is up it's on, if it's sideways it's off and if it's upside down it's on reserve (just an uneducated guess)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no arows and the logo seems to be all of the above. how about is all the way left on or is all the way right on off abviosly must be in the middle or is all the way to the right off and there is no reserve or is there a reserve?

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Someone added an aftermarket cover....

I'd undo the cover, (small allen wrench) make a note of the positions, then reinstall the cover, is you want it on again.
MyBad I assumed it had the actual logo Dave's sure got the short answer Might be a good Idea to leave it off for awhile till you get the feel for it while riding. The petcock aint that ugly, Some people just gota put a cover on everything.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Most HD petcocks are (largest portion of the lever pointing to) off at 9pm, on at 6pm and reserve at 12 midnight.

If you have a blingy cover on yours, take it off and see where it's set at, or you're at the mercy of the jackass that covered your petcock up and left you to wonder.

If you want bling, at the risk of pushing your bike to the nearest Turkey-Hill............then leave it on. :D

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Run it dry once, you'll never forget...

And take note of the mileage. Once you figure out your mileage before reserve, don't push it much farther than that....I once thought I was getting pretty good mileage..turns out my petcock was feeding off reserve the whole time and ran outta gas....twice.

My old bike was down (6 o'clock) for normal up (12 o'clock) for reserve, like previously stated...or full (to the stops) counterclock for normal and full clock for reserve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys, this is my first bike so I actually thought it came stock that way. I'll take the cover off and have a look. Thanks again!!

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
some how the words petcock.. and knob.. seem like they shouldnt be in the same sentence.. LOL

i am on the way to being all goosebumpy!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
UUUUUHHHHHHH need some help with that???:mwink:lol8:lol8:lol8

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Wow....that's odd.... I've seen these covers before, but never one with the optional Harley-face in the middle of it.......:D

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Jarhead mod

·
"Nervous Tick"
11,272 Posts
since were talking about petcocks, i'm looking at needing a new one that is actually worth owning. 2005 xl883.
best option for the new valve ?
need a good one, this one only has 8k miles on it, and i'm afraid to turn it anymore.
dave? dave, are you there?
gruss

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
do`nt really need to,Theyre one in the same just a taller heighth tube on the non reserve position.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
since were talking about petcocks, i'm looking at needing a new one that is actually worth owning. 2005 xl883.
best option for the new valve ?
need a good one, this one only has 8k miles on it, and i'm afraid to turn it anymore.
dave? dave, are you there?
gruss
Pingel there is no other.:nod

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Pingel there is no other.:nod

Quality, feel, movement and flow increase............Pingel. Best in the business.

Of course, you'll need to turn your fuel off EVERYTIME you stop, unlike the OEM petcock, as there's no vacuum actuator.

It's worth the trade off.:thumb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts