Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice film and yes, true today. Interesting that it did not refer to lane splitting being legal in California. Wonder if it was when the film was made.

·
old scoot coot
2,901 Posts
i haven't seen the vidio yet, i will. maybe i got it all wrong. i liked the film easy rider, sort of really dated now. and i've always liked dennis hopper and jack nickoleson. i don't even mean this in a rude or abusive way, but i always thought peter fonda was a pussy. his sister just an ordinary traitor. i guess they both looked good but ya know what they say about that.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
Early 70s. Switching from a Sprint to a XR to a Super Glide thru the film. Them were the analog days !

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
Nice film and yes, true today. Interesting that it did not refer to lane splitting being legal in California. Wonder if it was when the film was made.
Even when it's legal, it's still a risky move today. Not that I am against it, I think it should be legal everywhere, but I mean, you ever see those road rage videos where people in a cage intentionally try to wreck a bike? In plenty of them a bike is trying to split/filter legally in a place where it is legal to do so and some jerk that doesn't like the idea opens a door up on them while going down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The video talks about wearing gear, treating cage drivers as if they are stupid, blind, or drunk. The movie has the the helmet saving the sissy bar, and both of them dying on the bike. I suppose if you average it out, it’s kinda like staying home😕

·
ACE
233 Posts
HMMM,:eek: well I got two of them, didn't pass my motorcycle(AMF Harley 125cc oil injected enduro) drive test because I had to look down to start/turn off the bike. First street motorcycle accident lady turned left in front of me, me & passenger over the car, only injury soreness and passenger broken big toe.. very lucky in town only doin maybe 25mph...do like seeing these old films with all the old cars..:D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Even when it's legal, it's still a risky move today. Not that I am against it, I think it should be legal everywhere, but I mean, you ever see those road rage videos where people in a cage intentionally try to wreck a bike? In plenty of them a bike is trying to split/filter legally in a place where it is legal to do so and some jerk that doesn't like the idea opens a door up on them while going down the road.
Rode SoCal freeways since the 70's. Lane splitting hasn't been strictly legal since recently, but it wasn't strictly illegal either. The CHP (California Highway Patrol) had a policy that it was allowed within reason. Just as today if its done unsafely you will get ticketed but you wouldn't get stopped doing it sanely. When I first started riding the freeways I didn't do it but decided to try it and see. I felt far less vulnerable splitting lanes than sitting stopped in rush hour traffic. So I started and soon learned I was far safer splitting. Did it for a lot of years and had very few problems, in fact had more problems sitting in traffic than splitting. Back then there were cagers that didn't like bikes doing it and there were the assholes that would try to block you, etc. Only once did I have someone open a door (well ahead of me) but saw it for what it was when his head popped out and he puked on the asphalt.

I had a 6 year vacation from California in the early 2000's due to a job move and when I got back I did notice that people were a lot more accepting of bikes splitting lanes. You would actually see people on either side of the 1st/2nd lane gap (where most splitters ride) move over to let bikes go by and give them the most room. Seems the more people see it happening, where its approved, the more people accept it. After a while anyway.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
We're just getting used to roundabouts here ! Why the hell do people feel the need to pass in a roundabout ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
We're just getting used to roundabouts here ! Why the hell do people feel the need to pass in a roundabout ?
I posted a couple related tweets on Twitter recently:

1.4-way stop intersections are one of the most efficient ways to deal with traffic. Until someone decides to “be nice.”

Your punishment is roundabouts.

2. Revision:

4-way stop intersections are one of the most efficient ways to deal with traffic. Until someone decides to “be nice.”

Your punishment is poorly designed, too small, @wsdot roundabouts.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
Drifting roundabouts sounds like fun ! I kinda think about that when I drive thru them now but my cage is front wheel drive.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Schmidty, stretch your neck, FWD cars have to be drifted in reverse, same for doing donuts!

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
Schmidty, stretch your neck, FWD cars have to be drifted in reverse, same for doing donuts!
You can still drift going forward on a FWD car, particularly if you have a hand brake, easier in a hatchback. Used to do it all the time in my first car (1987 Subaru Justy). Instead of breaking traction to slide by torquing with gas, you lock the tires for a split second with the hand break. That or you brake to front load, then whip the wheel like you're trying to jackknife a trailer. Just gotta be careful with it. Dunno how a sedan would do though.

I miss that little car, was fun to take off road despite being a 3 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Where I lived in Ca there was a roundabout where 4 major blvds came together. Three lanes coming in and two going out. When everybody was thinking it actually went pretty good except during the busier traffic times. Big problem was not everybody thinks and not all the time. After many years they decided to take the lane markings off, the theory was it was going to make transitions easier. I was very surprised to find it actually did.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
i haven't seen the vidio yet, i will. maybe i got it all wrong. i liked the film easy rider, sort of really dated now. and i've always liked dennis hopper and jack nickoleson. i don't even mean this in a rude or abusive way, but i always thought peter fonda was a pussy. his sister just an ordinary traitor. i guess they both looked good but ya know what they say about that.
Fonda was considered a poser back in the day. Watching him handle a chopped bike it appears he could handle it pretty good. Still a effin pig in my book after his tweeter comment about Barron Trump. Prick like his sister is traitor. AKA poser.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Well, I liked the movie okay. But, Peter Fonda is Hollywood, so ...

But, Evel Knievel. In 1974, I was a reporter/photographer working at the North Side News in Jerome, Idaho, when he was setting up his infamous jump. I have too many stories of how much a mess that all was. Top Rank was the promoter at the time. They tried to tell the Twin Falls Country Commission and Twin Falls City Council how many cars they could park on an acre of ground. They didn't realize all these guys were farmers and knew how big an acre was. I asked them if they were going to use a fork lift to stack them.

I stood next to the ramp as he got in the rocket bike, taking pictures as he launched and pulled the chute before he hit the end of the ramp.

If you go to Twin Falls, you can still see the ramp. Kind of a monument to ego and over promotion.

Granted, Knievel is another Montana boy. So, I give him that.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
He may have not lived . No test launch, not a good idea. Remember seeing the chute coming out. May have seen you near the ramp during preliminaries on TV, small world eh ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
He may have not lived . No test launch, not a good idea. Remember seeing the chute coming out. May have seen you near the ramp during preliminaries on TV, small world eh ?
Yeah, I was much younger then. Do you remember the painted signed on the north side of the canyon? There was a target painted with the word "Splat."

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yeah, I was much younger then. Do you remember the painted signed on the north side of the canyon? There was a target painted with the word "Splat."
No but I remember some one had mentioned it long time ago. Watching it on TV. May be that took the wind out his sails. I was 24 in 74.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts