Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you can easily go to a 200 on the 180 tired Dynas?

We're never satisfied, are we? :D

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
I'd thought about trying to go wide, and one thing I think would make it more likely to be successful, is to use button head bolts thru from the inside of the fender and fastened on the outside with acorn nuts. That way if you'd have an extra half inch total clearance between both sides, and if you did have tire contact with the fasteners there would be no corners to dig into the tire.

Attachments

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thinking! It feels like it has room to spare on the non-drive side but not so much space between the 180 sidewall and the belt.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Haven't I seen posts, maybe on the V-Rod forum, about spacers put under the belt sprocket on the back to introduce a 1/4" of extra clearance, even tho' it's not exactly square?

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Haven't I seen posts, maybe on the V-Rod forum, about spacers put under the belt sprocket on the back to introduce a 1/4" of extra clearance, even tho' it's not exactly square?
It is an Interesting concept.....

Is the belt really misaligned?? The reason I ask, is my Dyna has a 1.75 width belt, and fits snug on/in between the rear sprocket sides. The front sprocket is slightly wider than the belt,(1/4") so if I shimmed the rear pulley out a little, the belt would just ride farther to the outside of the front sprocket,(closer to the inner primary) realigning itself.....

Not saying it's the same with THIS bike, but wondering outloud, more or less.

My Dyna has a stock 130-90x16 rear tire by Avon. Their tires are inherantly wider than most of the same size. I ended up adjusting the tire *slightly* to the right. (1/16th" more to the right, nothing crazy)

Over 600 miles with no signs of anything hinky, although I can't honestly recommend it to anyone as a solution to adding a wider tire. :(

+1000 on making sure you have clearence inside the rear fender. Don't ask me how I know....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts