Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for Father's Day my wife/son (he's 1) got me some new tires for my bike. Metzler ME880's. They look great. So anyway I decided to put them on yesterday so i pulled out my harbor freight bike jack. I jacked up the bike carefully to make sure I wasn't on the kickstand bracket or the oil drain hose. I raised the bike about 6 inches from the ground and checked to make sure It was stable (not too far forward or backward) it seemed as balanced as possible so I began to remove the front wheel. As I slowly began to pull out the axle and hold the wheel up, the axle slid out and the wheel dropped. So mind you I have axle in one hand and tire in the other, I watch the front of my bike raise and the back of it drop! Fast! So I dropped the wheel and axle and tried to grab the forks to hold the bike down. Well I was too late. Luckily some hoe the bike didn't fall. The whole jack lifted up and went with the bike and it balanced there. I almost had a heart attack. Moral of the story, always put bricks under the tires when you jack up your bike!!
Sorry for the long story but I had to explain it all. I would have probably cried if I dropped my bike.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1371495593.059959.jpg

06 Sportster 883 Custom, straight pipes, semi apes, saddlebags, sissy bar

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yea, that'l make your heart skip a beat!

I've had it happen too. Fortunately, my rear tire was only an inch off the floor. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I know your moment of panic, been there. I now use tie downs f & r whenever I do a wheel removal.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Short filling experience.... That jack would've been dropped off at the metal recycle place if it were mine.

Glad yer scooter didn't fall down and go boom....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew the jack was junk the first time I used it. It really is such a rarity to use though that its not worth buying an expensive one. ( it would be if I dropped my bike LOL) I just know now to be more cautious and really step back and look at it before I start the job

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
That will definitely get your blood circulating.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
Dogged a bullet bro.

Glad for the happy ending!

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Since my truck almost crushed me when it fell off the jack once, I always put jack stands under now and chock a wheel.

And what's wrong with a lift like that? I have a Craftsman kinda like it. Gets the bike off the ground. Now I think I wanna make an adapter so I can run it up on my Bradburry lift.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The jack gets the job done. I've put 2 bikes on it and its just a little rocky. It's strong enough but I would feel more comfortable if it had a bigger footprint. My father in law has an iron horse lsc and its very very rocky. But the bike is almost 10 feet long LOL. Needless to say I will be a little more cautious. It was a learning experience

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know lol but that hoe saved the bike!!! LOL

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Is there any way of seeing a pic of the "hoe" youz are talkin' bout ?:dunno

1 - 20 of 32 Posts