Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Harley iron 883 looks exactly like i would design my own custom bike. Only thing stopping it from being perfect is i want more power. Wondering what options are a viable for mods straight from the dealer? I really want 1250, exhaust and intake, upgraded fuel delivery, and dyno. Anyone know if thats possible or if not what is?

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Why wouldn't you just buy a 1200 Nightster? They look exactly alike.
If you want to spend the money on all of that stuff then go for it but just my 2 cents worth.

You need to go do an intro in the new members section too. Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will help you out.

-Rohan

·
Just Ride
3,035 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Buy a man's bike and cut the drama

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Said so perfectly.

To the OP. if you buy an 883 and slap all them doodads on it the top speed will be the same as my 883. If you rode with me the 738 miles to my parents house I would get there before you. I will have to stop a lot less with my more than 200 miles per tank on my 883XLC. It will in reality be a much slower bike.

Just get the 1200 that is geared proper for that size of engine.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
So the Harley iron 883 looks exactly like i would design my own custom bike. Only thing stopping it from being perfect is i want more power. Wondering what options are a viable for mods straight from the dealer? I really want 1250, exhaust and intake, upgraded fuel delivery, and dyno. Anyone know if thats possible or if not what is?
Almost anythings possible...a lot depends on the dealer. Most offer the standard SE pieces, different air cleaners, slip-ons, etc. H-D offers a 1200 conversion kit with pistons, jugs, heads, etc. that most dealer service departments can install easily. Beyond that, the aftermarket is loaded with all sorts of go fast parts. The question would be does your dealer sell and install the parts you want?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You would actually find the 1250 conversion will give a hotter and faster bike because of the gearing vs buying the 1200. ultimately you need to ask yourself what you are getting the bike for. Are you planning to take a bunch of long trips? If so, the sporty is NOT for you, if take 1 or 2 a year and you really like the look of the sporty, buy the sporty. It's funny how all these guys will go get the touring bikes, yet 85% of them never take more than 1 maybe 2 trips a year at around 200 miles. Get what you want dude but be smart about it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's a tricky one this. You can convert to the 1200 cc displacement, add a stage I with a new map and change the saddle etc. but as has been said we need to know if you're planning regular long rides. Modifying the Sportster is fun but is it just more power you're aiming for?

Andy

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Said so perfectly.

To the OP. if you buy an 883 and slap all them doodads on it the top speed will be the same as my 883. If you rode with me the 738 miles to my parents house I would get there before you. I will have to stop a lot less with my more than 200 miles per tank on my 883XLC. It will in reality be a much slower bike.

Just get the 1200 that is geared proper for that size of engine.
Yup... A 1200 in 883 gears will bang off the rev limiter in 5th all day...

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
Yup... A 1200 in 883 gears will bang off the rev limiter in 5th all day...

Not so good for longevity, but can be fun now and then...:know

BTW, there is a guy on ebay who sells conversion 32t front pulleys for 883 Sportsters to gear them down for highway use. Had one on mine and they work (a bit of grinding needed to get the pulley/belt to clear everything.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 iron with the HD 1200cc kit, Stage 1 air, mufflers, mapping. All HD parts and work done at the HD Dealer. I actually see no degradation of gas mileage--55-60 mpg. I like the increased torque. I live in an area with many short steep hills and the increased power just scoots the bike along and really flattens the grade. Money well spent as far as I am concerned. If you like the look of the bike go for it. I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts