Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after some searching, i couldn't find anything on this subject. i haven't done it YET but hope i can do a lot of this in the near future.

my plan is to get a 1 or 2 bike trailer, a pickup big enough to pull it and see the country that way. just wondering what you have and how it's working out?

also, the plan is to get the bike out for an all-day or even several days of riding and just wondering where is a good safe spot to park the rig while i'm gone?
i'd like to do the right thing and just ride, but i'm getting old and would like to really enjoy this rather than suffering through it, which would mean the occasional hotel room and driving (rather than riding) across hundreds of miles of boring flatland.

anybody?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Two friends did a long tour the way you describe. They had good luck stopping at body shops, tow yards, places with fenced yards and asking how much to park for a ___ amount of time. Paid a nominal fee and had a slightly secure feeling that the truck (or trailer) and contents would still be there.
They also DID NOT have a "There's Harleys in Here" paint job on the trailer.

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, thanks Breeze. yeah, plain simple trailer shouldn't garner as much attention.

just a guess but i think a 2 bike trailer would take a 3/4 ton P.U. and a single just a half ton. haven't made up my mind which to go for.
i have a Durango with a 360 and a tow package but i'm not sure if it would handle a 2 bike trailer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Durango with a 360 -- It will easily pull a two bike trailer with two big Harley's.
Doesn't get the best fuel economy with or without a trailer.
Hushpuppy

·
Banned
71 Posts
haha, thanks Breeze. yeah, plain simple trailer shouldn't garner as much attention.

just a guess but i think a 2 bike trailer would take a 3/4 ton P.U. and a single just a half ton. haven't made up my mind which to go for.
i have a Durango with a 360 and a tow package but i'm not sure if it would handle a 2 bike trailer.
Two bikes in a closed, single axle, trailer is 5000 lbs . Check and see what your pickup is rated to tow . :)

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Two bikes in a closed, single axle, trailer is 5000 lbs . Check and see what your pickup is rated to tow . :)

Any full size pickup can pull 5k lbs, I would think. Careful with midsize depending on engine and drivetrain.

Reactions: MADMACK

·
Registered
257 Posts
Piece of cake with most any truck. Most late model 1/2 tons have a beginning towing capacity that typically exceeds 7000 lbs and depending upon axle and engine can break 11000. Fords new 2015 F150 breaks 12000 lbs for a 1/2 ton! Wow

·
Banned
71 Posts
Piece of cake with most any truck. Most late model 1/2 tons have a beginning towing capacity that typically exceeds 7000 lbs and depending upon axle and engine can break 11000. Fords new 2015 F150 breaks 12000 lbs for a 1/2 ton! Wow
I think so too, but only takes a second to read the sticker on the door jamb . :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I had a Mazda B4000 with V6 (same as a Ford Ranger) and tow package. It would have towed 13k pounds with no problem. A two-bike trailer with no trouble at all. And, it would have gotten pretty decent mileage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
We have an RV that we tow a trailer with two bikes, canoe, and two kayaks. Not a problem. We are planning on switching to an enclosed trailer for both security (bikes out of sight) and keeping the bikes out of the weather and crap kicked up by the RV's tires.

·
Registered
803 Posts

A single axle 6x12 / 7x12 two bike enclosed trailer only weighs about 500 pounds more the a 5x8 / 5x10 one bike enclosed trailer. Your Durango would have no problem hauling it and you can put one bike in a two bike trailer, but you cannot put two bikes in a one bike trailer. Your gas milage will drop, but a Durango doesn't get good milage anyway. I would also be looking at a V-nose trailer, more room for storage and they cut the wind better.

·
Former Lurker
2,912 Posts
Had a nice dual axle 7x14 that easily towed a RK and an EGC all over the Carolina mountains w\ either a Chevy V8 1500 or an older Tundra. The larger trailer let us pack w\ a bunch of other crap as well...

·
Registered
257 Posts
To Clarify:

"I think so too, but only takes a second to read the sticker on the door jamb " from Webco2

That is a sticker that refers to GVWR or gross vehicle weight rating and shows maximum load capacity for front and rear axles. Does not reflect towing capacity or GCVWR which is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating which is the weight of both the truck, occupants, and trailer. You have to know the axle ratio and the engine to determine the GCVWR as determined by the manufacturer. Engine is in the VIN# but the axle ratio is not.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I had a Mazda B4000 with V6 (same as a Ford Ranger) and tow package. It would have towed 13k pounds with no problem. A two-bike trailer with no trouble at all. And, it would have gotten pretty decent mileage.
Wait...hugh? you can't be serious 13k pounds would not be doable with a ranger!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Just to give the OP some ideas here...

two bike enclosed trailer >2000lbs

two bikes and gear, say another 2k pounds

These are HIGH estimates. Honestly a mid size SUV with a good powered V6 would be enough, though I would recommend a half ton pickup at least just to have some wiggle room, better handling, and acceleration.

Here are some ROUGH numbers that depend heavily on how a truck is set up but in general,

a mid size SUV with a tow package and a big v6 or v8 is around 4-6k pounds

half tons of the mid 2000s were roughly around (7-8500)lbs with their biggest or second biggest engine

New half tons are about 3k lbs more on average towing wise per engine option in recent years (like 2011 and up)

These numbers are rough like I said when you are looking for a tow vehicle consider these things.

Transmission: 6 speed autos are really nice for towing,,,keeps the rpms down when pulling hills though a 4 speed will do ya just fine.

Engine: The more power the better. Even pulling 2-3k pounds on a 5+L V8 you will know it is there...still very drive able but you should always shoot as high as reasonably possible above what you need to tow weight wise just because the truck will drive so much nicer.

Axle Ratios: For mid 2000's pickups in general 4.10s were considered "towing" axle ratios, 3.73s were kind of a compromise between a little daily driving and more towing, and 3.55, 3.42's were kinda a mileage ratio that still allows you to pull respectable loads. The higher the number the better a vehicle will tow a load, all else being equal.

Handling: you shouldn't have much issue but make sure the shocks are good at least..consider investing in a shock that is made for towing in the rear anyway.. it will smooth the ride out a bit.

What do I recommend?? Well I'm not sure I am in a spot to recommend anything to anyone but I have towed alot of things before.

If you're going early/mid 2000's truck I'd get a Ford 5.4L, Dodge 5.7L, or Chevy, 5.3L engine....(If your considering Nissan and Toyota than the 5.6 and 5.7 I force respectively) because those were the biggest engine options at the time. You don't necessarily need those engines to get the tow rating you want but trust me, the extra power comes in such handy merging onto highways and pulling up hills. Less stress on the truck too.

With those engines a 3.42-up axle ratio will be fine,,,closer you can get to 4.10's the better but BUT....you will turn more RPM's in overdrive with the lower gears so you may prefer 3.42's-3.73's instead. Power vs. RPM its a trade off.

If you're looking to buy late 2000's with 6 speed transmissions then I'd say you can easily get away with a little smaller v8 without issue or a higher axle ratio.

Hope any of this makes sense.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Can vs Should.

Yea, you can pull a lot weight with just about any vehicle but can you stop it? I hear people all the time talking about how they pull heavy trailers with the 1/2 ton truck just fine. But if things go wrong, the lawyers of the parents of the children that were riding in the school van that you slammed into on that down hill grade WILL find out you're over weight. Then you'll be paying for the rest of your life.

Not saying you'll be over weight with the two bikes, only repeating what I normally post when discussions of towing with SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks start up on any forum.

Take the time to see if you can legally pull the weight BEFORE you see if you can actually pull the weight.

Whatever you do, be safe and make sure the trailer has brakes.

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can vs Should.

Yea, you can pull a lot weight with just about any vehicle but can you stop it? I hear people all the time talking about how they pull heavy trailers with the 1/2 ton truck just fine. But if things go wrong, the lawyers of the parents of the children that were riding in the school van that you slammed into on that down hill grade WILL find out you're over weight. Then you'll be paying for the rest of your life.

Not saying you'll be over weight with the two bikes, only repeating what I normally post when discussions of towing with SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks start up on any forum.

Take the time to see if you can legally pull the weight BEFORE you see if you can actually pull the weight.

Whatever you do, be safe and make sure the trailer has brakes.
i'm sure trailer brakes would almost be a must. i've pulled both types and trailer brakes keep you out of some tight spots.
i'm surprised at what some of you use for towing..but i live in an area of horse trailers and big campers, a lot more weight than 2 bikes and bigger trucks i guess.
i'm on the fence with the Durango. big 360 but i'm running 2,000 rpms @ 60 MPH empty, 3 speed with OD..high revs. and with over 115,000 miles, i might be asking for trouble taking off cross-country. just trying to work out a plan ahead of time. thanks for all the ideas and criteria everybody!

·
Registered
476 Posts
My wifes 2011 Ford ranger with it's 4.0-liter V6/tow package can tow up to 5,780 lbs. More than enough for an enclosed trailer with two Harleys in it.
That's more than the rating on our Ford E-450 V10 RV which is 5,000 lbs.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
Look at a 14 foot tandem axle trailer. Enclosed box.

Look at a diesel 3/4 ton truck. Best fuel mileage would be a dodge cummins. Best uphill power Ford F-250 with the power stroke. Either will do fine. My Dodge does 14.6 mph with two bikes and all the gear. I owned a lot of Chevy trucks but never their diesel so I cannot comment but am sure they are probably fine. Ford and Dodge I have wore out a lot of them.

Reason simple. All weather all wind all road conditions. Comfortable, set the cruise control and steer.

If you have any mechanical aptitude at all get the trailer at an auction.

I got this for 3K

And put 2k into it tires and all.... Turned it into this.

We have a queen size air mattress in there in case hotels are full. Tables,bbq, extra tires, bearings, fuses, spares of things.

It also allows us to move all our stuff when we go rent a house on VRBO.com and relocate to warm weather for some riding.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts