Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's been kind of a ho-hum day. My 3 year old insisted on bedding with the wife and I last night, so sleep was at a minimum. After getting coffee, eating breakfast, I though it may be a good day to clean the man-cave, and put away the parts that have been hanging around, (literally) to make some room. I thought this may be a good chance to share with some of you, where I spend a lot of my time, and hang out.

Comforts include: Full sized fridge, 2- 13" color TVs with cable, VCRs and one DVD, surround sound, stereo, heat, tool box, work bench, wall cabinets, waxed tile floor and rubber-ribbed mat, as the wife parks in there during the week, and it keeps water/snow off the floor and allows for easy clean-up. And it's fully alarmed...;)

Wall of shame:

Today's most useless mod:

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I hate you, you bastage :D

I'll get some pics tomorrow - maybe - if the wife lets me - but you ain't gonna like it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Two TV's (that I can see) beer fridge, sound system, clean and well stocked. You suck! ;) I like the wall mouted battery tender. Nice touch.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm spoiled.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Maybe I'll post one of mine if I can spread my elbows out far enough to take a pic and if I dont break my neck tripping over the piles of crap.
Sweet Mike!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jeez, your guys' places are nice and big AND clean and tidy.:)
My space is a mess I tell ya!!!:(

Going in there right now to tidy up, and take some pics...
might be a while before I can post pics!!!

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
:eek: :eek:

Attachments

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised.
Pete, I'd kill to have that amount of space and overhead. One day, I'll build a large, 2.5 garage in the back yard for my projects. AND you have your own lift, to boot!! :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Pete, I'd kill to have that amount of space and overhead. One day, I'll build a large, 2.5 garage in the back yard for my projects. AND you have your own lift, to boot!! :D
I have often thought of renting an aircraft hangar. Most of them come powered for large machine tools and welders. I could go there and work on my stuff in absolute solitarity.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have often thought of renting an aircraft hangar. Most of them come powered for large machine tools and welders. I could go there and work on my stuff in absolute solitarity.
You could do 1/8th mile testing in some of them......:D I always wanted an old barn. When I was about 19, there was a neighbor that had a barn that his wife was down to one horse, and no longer showed/boarded other peoples, as well. He partitioned off about 1/5th of the barn, and poured white cement in the other 4/5ths, including overhead flourecent lighting, drywall and wall length work bench down both sides.

His friends and he all had street rods (nothing newer then 1960) and would store them there, work on them and hang out. it was the coolest thing.... I used to come over and help out with little jobs, just to hang out with the "Big boys". At that time, I had a 72 Dodge Demon with a 340 4bbl, and a 1963-1/2 Ford Galaxie 500, with a 289 v8.

It's a good memory to think of.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I did a barn once. The thing with barns is they set in barny places like on the edge of fields. I had a tough time controlling dust and dirt. Well, until we sold the horse and I planted 5 acres of lawn. That solved that but brought on some other issues. ha ha.

You could do 1/8th mile testing in some of them......:D I always wanted an old barn. When I was about 19, there was a neighbor that had a barn that his wife was down to one horse, and no longer showed/boarded other peoples, as well. He partitioned off about 1/5th of the barn, and poured white cement in the other 4/5ths, including overhead flourecent lighting, drywall and wall length work bench down both sides.

His friends and he all had street rods (nothing newer then 1960) and would store them there, work on them and hang out. it was the coolest thing.... I used to come over and help out with little jobs, just to hang out with the "Big boys". At that time, I had a 72 Dodge Demon with a 340 4bbl, and a 1963-1/2 Ford Galaxie 500, with a 289 v8.

It's a good memory to think of.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
Thank you Pete, I'm going to call your workspace organizing scheme, and mine, the "when there's enough space, you don't have to be all that tidy" approach. Besides, the shop was full when I bought it.

This is The Laboratory. Insulated. Full bath w/shower.

Besides my own pathological inability to be organized, the previous owner left me all of his junk, plus I bought his sandblast cabinet, compressor, parts cleaner, huge storage racks (full of his stuff), etc etc. The lifts are my addition, the enclosed carport is big enought to hold a Greyhound bus.

The quietest REAL compressor I ever heard.

The previous owner had the shop built, prolly spent $50,000, 110 outlets every 10 feet, and 220 welder and heavy tool outlets about every 20 feet all around the perimeter.

Widowmaker roll-around fan for the Texas heat. My old Mercedes coupe.

Attachments

·
Steve
262 Posts
Nathang...........WOW, that shop is impressive. I thought the 30' x 50' shop I built on my property was big but is nothing compared to your place!!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I always wanted a steel building but here in Utah and where I lived in Idaho it was just too hard to keep warm and cool. My neighbor had a 60 X 40 that included a small sleeping quarter for when he got his ass in trouble with his wife. He spent a TON heating and cooling it.

But if I hit the lottery...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
He spent a TON heating and cooling it.
My son has access to nearly unlimited qualtities (at least relative to my needs) of used motor oil from the airplanes they maintain, heating would not be any problem for me, and I've been researching the ammonia cycle refrigeration system, it's an ice house industrial refrigeration system than only needs a heat source to make deep cold, it really has no moving parts so the same waste oil source could be used for air conditioning as well. If I can inventioneer a setup like that then I can have year round comfort. In the summer the heat isn't the worst of it, it's the humidity too.

I think the enclosed shop is 50x90. See the huge wooden tower in the rear, it's a very sturdy parts storage shelf my son scrounged from the museum, it was going to be discarded, it was sturdy enough to lay over on a trailer and bring home and stabd back up. I guess it says something about the surplus of space when my shop could absorb a 6"x6"x25" foot tall wooden structure which we haven't even really found a use for yet, except changing light bulbs. That's one scary part of this shop, putting up a 28 foot ladder to change a flourescent tube could put a feller into a wheelchair or the morgue.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Thank you Pete, I'm going to call your workspace organizing scheme, and mine, the "when there's enough space, you don't have to be all that tidy" approach. Besides, the shop was full when I bought it.
:D

The trouble around here is that there are 1,000 things that need doing, and only one me :D

To give an idea, last year the Dutch scrap metal dealers took 5 x 10-ton truck loads of scrap metal away, including three cars and a combine harvester :D

And I still have 20 tons of building rubble which was dug out of the stable floor to get rid of.

But, getting the barn and the mill (woodworking shop) properly sorted out is this year's priority. I'm sick of trying to get work done with everything in chaos and half the tools I need buried under the other half :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts