Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad Hello every one-I have a problem that I need to try to fix on my fender. I have a custom 9" wide strut less fender on my fatboy and I just removed a Pillion seat that I put on last summer. I now have six round ring marks from the suction cups , I am bummed out that the Pillion seat suction cups caused this. I started reading several articles after doing a web search on this issue. No body tells you how to remove the marks or say if they can be removed. My fender is powder coated flat black. Would you have any tips on how to remove these marks? Are they removable? I wonder if Black colored wax might work? -Tim in MI

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Probably a good idea to follow the forum rules and go introduce yourself in New to the Community folder. Welcome in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believed I did introduce myself when I joined in Aug of 2010? That's 4 years ago. I read this site often and thought it was a friendly site and I didn't know I was supposed to introduce my again, I don't often post on sites and I am very sorry if I offended you or anyone else which was not my intensions at all but when I joined this site I believe I did introduce myself and I didn't know you did a "Back Ground" check on every post that you don't recognize the member. I enjoyed this site for 4 years until today!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Nobody's offended. You post total is 2, so I just assumed. Look at your last post just above this one, it's #2, thus the original here and your response to me. Everyone's glad to help, I was just noting that you hadn't made the introduction.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
On the fenders, get some Meguiar's 205 Finishing Polish and use with an orbital buffer.

Use a clay bar first to remove any surface contaminants, else the dust etc will be moved around and ground into your paint.

For the tank, get some touchup paint, then:
1) Clay bar the area to get rid of any surface contaminants.
2) Fill the chip with touchup paint and let dry 24 hours.
For larger chips, several thin layers is better than one thick layer.
3) Wet sand the touchup paint even with the immediate area.
4) Use an orbital buffer to bring the shine back to the wet sanded area.
Start with Meguiars Ultra Finishing Polish, and finish up with Meguiars #3 Machine Glaze.
You may not even need the #3, Meguiar's 205 leaves a pretty shiny finish.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Okay, don't introduce yourself. I grew up in Detroit. You sound like half of my family. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand whats going on and my Blood Pressure is going up-I wont post another question because I don't understand this site or how it works? Is every member supposed to post a certain amount of questions a week or month or year? I just don't see what I did wrong. I am not a rude person and I am very thank full for any help / tips or advise I receive -

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Disregard my post above.

I missed the part about it being a flat finish.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I use windex to clean the ,"denim" paint on my sportster it leaves the flat finish. Hope it helps you. Luck.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't understand whats going on and my Blood Pressure is going up-I wont post another question because I don't understand this site or how it works? Is every member supposed to post a certain amount of questions a week or month or year? I just don't see what I did wrong. I am not a rude person and I am very thank full for any help / tips or advise I receive -
I think you're letting it get to you a little too much. He only noticed that you had the one post and suggested you introduce yourself so we get to know you. I noticed it too and only later that you registered four years ago. If you introduced yourself then your post apparently disappeared. Its only a suggested nicety, not really a prerequisite. There's plenty of friendly helpful people here as you've pointed out.

Can you take and post a picture of the marks? Does it look like the original paint is damaged or is it some substance that is left on it. Personally I wouldn't know how to repair a flat finish without respraying.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,735 Posts
Pay no attention to the Keyboard commando rules committee!

Riding the keyboard is an obsession along with making someone most unwelcome when a precious rule may or may not have been followed ....... They hope to get a gold star.

Welcome..

On my 2012 FLSTFB (Denim Black) I have found that windex as has been mentioned works well.

But for me to get marks off I am using a sponge called a Dobie sponge... and S-100 total cycle cleaner. The Dobie is pretty laid back to the paint. (Dobie sponge... not a real dobie, although that can be laid back too.)

Might want to pick up lighter chicks next year!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Oh, dear!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

It's all good man. He wasn't ticked. He was coaching you in case you didn't know.

As far as your flat black finish is concerned, I think you're hosed. That stuff is pretty unforgiving. Can't say for sure though. You got pics of the marks?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
If it is the same finish as the HD Denim you are pretty much screwed if Windex or the HD Denim cleaner won't take it off with simple spray and wipe. If you try to rub to hard it will create shiny spots at best.

My advice. Put the pillion back on and leave it there.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Dont be offended. He did not mean it as a repromand or any thing.
He was just noting that nobody knows you.
Besides- every body jokes and pokes fun at each other when possible.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,735 Posts
If the s100 and doobie does not get it fixed post up. I can write up how to fix the finish if it has been polished. Works on denim. Works great on powder coat.

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
Dont be offended. He did not mean it as a repromand or any thing.
He was just noting that nobody knows you.
Besides- every body jokes and pokes fun at each other when possible.
Yep.
What Ultra Struck said.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
If they won't come off you could always try hiding them with a leather fender bib. May not be the look you want but at least you won't see them.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
I think we lost the OP.

He states a strut less fender. Unless he means it has hidden\internal struts I would question putting a passenger on it anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts