Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have a question. My bike is plain vivid black. I have been thinking about double pin striping. I am thinking a light lavender and a medium purple. my question is I want them painted on not decals. So anyone have any idea of what kind of money we are talking about doing something like this. I know the whole bike will be taken apart. Thanks

·
Registered
40,086 Posts
Light lavender and purple?????

[Stopping now before I have to ban myself]

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Black is a neutral base. Any color will complement it. The question is what kind of effect are you looking for? A dark hue color combination will give you a subtle look while lighter hues will give you a greater contrast.

Can you find your color answer on the bike. What other colors do you have on the bike now. Using existing colors can make a new element (the pinstriping) look intentional and part of the original design.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Neon green and gray. Orange And gray. Red and gray. Red and silver. Light blue and silver. Endless possibilities.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I like Gray and orange, on a black bike. Very Harley.....

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Go with a red pin stripe and powder coat the rims red as well.
Where the hell would somebody get an idea like that??

--

--:laugh:--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
ok, I have a question. My bike is plain vivid black. I have been thinking about double pin striping. I am thinking a light lavender and a medium purple. my question is I want them painted on not decals. So anyone have any idea of what kind of money we are talking about doing something like this. I know the whole bike will be taken apart. Thanks
I don't know if a Switchback has any accent color anywhere on it from the factory but if it does, you don't want to add any other colors that would clash with that color.

If the bike has nothing but black on it, you have no limitations--not even our personal tastes. I think if you had described, (cough, cough) "lavender" as say, pale purple, for instance, you might have gotten a better reception to your idea here. If you use a pale enough "purple", it can almost appear grayish, and could most certainly complement a deeper, more vivid, purple stripe, IMO.

Painted stripes are the way to go. NO decal for stripes. I recommend going to bike nights and talking with owners who have stripes to find out who in your area is "the guy", and also the approximate costs. The cost will depend on the complexity of design. The striper guy will be a credible source for an opinion about what will work well on your bike as far as design and colors.

In the end, it's your bike and your decision.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,510 Posts
Regarding the bike having to be tore down. Pin striping can be done without that extreme.
Done all the time at Meets and Custom Shows.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Regarding the bike having to be tore down. Pin striping can be done without that extreme.
Done all the time at Meets and Custom Shows.
This is certainly true.

However, if it's gonna be disassembled for another reason anyway, that gives you the opportunity to have the striping clear-coated, which would make the striping more durable. In that case, you have weigh that benefit against any downside to clear coating over the facory Harley finish, which is extremely high quality.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,510 Posts
Agree clear coating is the way to go for longevity of the stripes.
But prep then striping then clear coat. = $$$ ouch

·
Hard Member
3,242 Posts
Looking at striping mine, gold and red parallel lines gold because of paint mix, red for the tank medallions having red

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Lime green would stand out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts