Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 1989 FXR, I bought new in Jan. 89. 3 years ago the dipstick broke from vibration. That little piece of aluminum caused lots of damage. I figured this would be a good time to step up to a 6 speed. I got an Ultima builders kit, Andrews 30 tooth pulley, Bandit clutch, and trans tools, for assembly. The 6 speed went in just like the instructions showed. Then I installed the quad seal, main seal, spacer, and pulley. Next I installed the inner primary, and adjusted the drive belt. As I spun the rear wheel, I could feel something rubbing behind the primary. not rubbing all the time but like a high spot, or something. After taking it apart and putting it back together about 5 times, I found the belt was hitting the primary in one spot. I removed the pulley and noticed the quad seal looked like it had been pinched. I put it all back together WITHOUT the quad seal and no more belt rub. I know you cant ride without the seal, so before I put it back together again, COULD a pinched quad seal cause enough runout to make the belt rub, or am I missing something, and its something else? And if so what might I have done wrong?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The front pulley configuration was updated during the `94 model year.

The new pulley is thicker at the spline area, the spacer is shorter and has a larger outside diameter.

Is there a chance you have a mixup of a new pulley and the old (longer) spacer?

The old configuration spacer is .850" long and the O.D. is 2.062"

The new configuration spacer is .600" long and the O.D. is 2.254"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I checked. Im pretty sure it is the pinched (bad installation)quad seal, I am just looking for other options, or somebody that has had the same problem. I considered maybe bent main shaft or something like that, but these are all new parts, except the primary, and belt. I don't have dial indicators, so I cant measure main shaft runout. I just wonder if the quad seal pinched out , would that put the spacer at a slight angle causing the pulley not to be square to the shaft, causing the interment belt rub? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Mistake

Ok its not the belt, its the pulley rubbing on the bearing boss on the inner primary. I have the right spacer. I was thinking if the pulley is OUT too far, maybe the drive bearing is not fully seated in the trans case. The snap ring went in with no problem, but that doesn't mean the bearing is seated, does it? Is there a measurement for bearing to trans case face? Can the bearing be adjusted without taking the whole think apart? Also is there a measurement form the face of the case, to the back of the pulley?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There is no adjustment to the bearing. If it is in far enough to get the lock ring in, it is good.

Do you have the upgraded (late `94 and up) pulley?

How long is your pulley spacer?

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
The trans main bearing has 2 big snap rings, one on the inside of the bearing and the outside one. The bearing fits up against the inside snap ring and the outside snap ring locks the bearing in place. If the outside snap ring went into the groove the bearing is located correctly in the case.
The main shaft spacer is what keeps the pulley from rubbing the case. The spacer has a bevel that fits over the quad seal so the seal won't affect that measurement.
I hope you didn't pound the main drive gear out of the case during disassembly. That will break the inner snap ring groove out of the case. If that happens the main bearing can seat into the case to deep and then the bearing spacer will end up being to short and the pulley can rub.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The trans main bearing has 2 big snap rings, one on the inside of the bearing and the outside one.
There is only one snap ring, on the outside. There is a lip on the case inside to hold the bearing.

I bet Harley has sold a lot of transmission cases due to that thin bearing support lip on the inside of the case. I know of several cases where the lip was broken off while pressing the gear out with the correct puller.

The OP says that the pulley is rubbing on the inner primary cover...

How close to the inner primary cover does the pulley normally run?

I don`t think the thickness of a quad seal would be enough to put the pulley into contact with the cover.

OP: what is the length of the pulley spacer, and also what is the thickness of the pulley at the center splined area?

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
I stand corrected, it's a lip on the inside. The Main drive gear gets removed towards the inside of the case, if the main gear is pounded out the bearing will bust that lip out because the main gear is a press fit into the bearing.
I've got a 5spd case like that at my shop now , I didn't do it either !
Anyways if the lip is broken out the bearing can move deeper into the case, not far but far enough to cause a pulley clearance problem.

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
Okay, I re-read the OP's posts again. He's saying the pulley is rubbing against the inner primary not the trans case, my mistake. So the pulley is out to far so that leaves the pulley / spacer culprit.
Laying a straight edge along the front and rear pulleys and if there's an offset it can be measured. If the front pulley is out to far some material can be removed from the spacer to get the pulleys in alignment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. First ,Its not an Andrews, but a BDL, and the spacer is .595. I didn't break the trans case, cause I bought the trans tools to do the job. I wish I had a camera , a picture is way better than MY words. The part that hits is (I hope this makes sense)The outside edge of the inner circumference of the pulley, against the bottom part of the inner primary BOSS that holds the bearing. Hits at the back of the primary. I don't have a straight edge, but when I set both spacers( stock and BDL) on the table, then set the pulleys on top, setting side by side they are the same height. When I adjust the belt and spin the tire,without the primary, the belt runs pretty true. When I install the stock spacer and pulley no problems. Yesterday I spent 3 hours clearancing (grinding) the primary. I painted the inside with some red paint. Installed it, then took it apart,saw where it was hitting,then hit it with the Dremel, more paint, reinstall then take apart ,more grnding in a different spot in the same area, more paint more checking, more grinding. I really did not have to grind that much, I was using light pressure on the dremel. Now it all fits,the pulley doesn't hit, but Im still not sure if that's the right way. All that being said,I have heard FXR primary's warp, maybe that's the problem. I really appreciate all your help. I started this project 3 years ago, then got sick so I couldn't finish, NOW Im healthy again, and I want to finish, and go riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also Id like to add. When I install the primary the pulley doesn't hit until the bolt at the back, on top gets tightened. I know that when the primary gets tightened its in a specific order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YES... I realize the easy solution is run the stock pulley. But I want the 30 tooth pulley. The reason for the 6 speed and not just putting back a 5 speed, was so I could gear it down for faster hole shots, but not be over reving on the freeway. This is so f#$%en frustrating. Ive been wrenching on this bike since day 1 and have never had any kind of s#%t like this!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I did some more measuring. I have a 2000 FLH Twin Cam trans, for a FXR Twin Cam project I started 15 years ago. ( Long story). any ways I used feeler gauges and measured the clearance from the face of trans to back of pulley. I used the go, no go method. The stock TC trans measured at .043. Then I put the stock pulley on the 89 FXR, it measured .045, then I put the BDL set up on the 89, it measured .043, SO I guess that verifies the bearing is seated. What's left? bad primary or what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One Last Thought

BDL is in Anaheim, that's about 45 miles from here. Maybe I should throw the bike in the truck, take it to them, see if they got an answer! I mean its their pulley that's causing the problem, maybe. Well I'm missing the Dodgers game, so I'm done for the night!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schmidtys

If you mean setting a straight edge across the face of the pulleys, that didn't work. I found a piece of straight Unistrut, clamped it to the face of the rear pulley. The face of the front pulley is 1/2" out past the rear pulley. I also measured the stock pulley, it too is out 1/2". I don't think the pulley is out to far because the clearance between the back of the BDL pulley and the face of the trans is .043. The clearance for the stock pulley is.045. I just think the pulley is too small, I'm going to call BDL tomorrow see what they say, then most likely just clearance the primary till nothing touches. Thanks for the input and help. I guess when you mix and match sometimes you got to MAKE it fit. Where is Painter Joe when you need em.

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. The pulleys should be in alignment. Any offset will play hell on the drive belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the method your talking about is for a PRIMARY belt alignment. There is no way I can move the trans pulley back 1/2". There is only .043 from the back of the pulley to the face of the trans. I have a second bike (unfinished project) its a stock 2000 FLH twin cam motor, and trans mounted in a FXR frame. Using the same Unistrut method the pulley is the same 1/2". The more I measure, and double check all the work, I'm almost positive its just the inside diameter of the 30 tooth is just to small for a FXR with a possibly warped primary. I'm still waiting for BDL to call me back. The amount of grinding I've done on the primary is very minimal, they no longer rub, so I'm going to just put it back together and ride it. Thanks for your input and help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke with Scott, from BDL today. He told me this isn't a perfect world, the area that I described is not a machined surface, send it back and we will chamfer the circumference. I told him I already clearanced the primary. He said that should work, and also gave a few suggestions on checking alignment. So there you go. I should have everything back together by this weekend, the weather is going to be in the 80's, MAYBE ill get to go for a ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.