Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question about my Road King. When fully warmed up and starting off like from a stoplight I get a light ping for just a brief moment. Do you think it's just the crappy gas we get now? I've thought about maybe retarding the initial timing a couple of degrees.
I have also been thinking about an aftermarket ignition module but I've heard stories of failures. What do you think guys? I have a 1995 FLHR.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
First off - are you running premium and is it fresh? Ethanol fuel will start going bad within 90 days. Do not run low octane fuel or you will be inviting the dreaded pinging.
You may already know that but I would be sure and check that out first.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
any detionation isn't good,get either better gas or retard the timing a couple degree`s

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If it has aftermarket ignition check the static timing . If it's a stock evo it shouldn't ping even with crap gas. I do fell your pain though I'm fighting a pinging issue with my 110 inch evo but I'm trying to run 11 to 1 comp with this crap gas

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Add Seafoam to the tank

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
actually,retarding timing to were is suppost to be will not result in poor performamce (ie:,timed correctly)really need to know more about the build to answer 100%

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately even if you're running premium pump gas whatever the person before you fueled with is still in the hose. That first gallon or so is what was pumped last, so I've been told.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Leaking intake seals, running lean !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts