Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 05 Fatboy with the TC88 ci. Researching into exhaust systems. I have heard the V&H bigshots and the V&H 2-1 pro pipe. I like the looks of the long shot but I like the DEEP rumble of the 2-1.

Anyone with experience on the SAMSON Big guns 3. Are they deeper and louder than the V&H bigshots?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
FB AL... I've had the V&H Big Shot Staggered's and V&H Propipe HS on the Heritage. Also Cycle Shack slip-on early in the ownership. Have heard the Samsons. They are loud, but not deeper.

I grade pipes in three areas... performance, sound, looks. Of all the pipes I've looked at, heard, on rentals, owned, etc... the V&H Propipe HS 2-1 has my personal :) highest grade:

Performance: A (The 2-1 performance increase is noticeable)
Sound: A (Like a deeper and lower exhaust note versus loud and 2-1 deliver this)
Looks: B (Any 2-1 exhaust falls slightly below 2-2 systems imo appearance wise)

Haven't come across an A A A yet, but I'll take the A A B. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like the looks of the new Rinehart 2-1. I love the thunderheader sound on twin cams. Exhaust is always a personal issue, good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FB AL... I've had the V&H Big Shot Staggered's and V&H Propipe HS on the Heritage. Also Cycle Shack slip-on early in the ownership. Have heard the Samsons. They are loud, but not deeper.

I grade pipes in three areas... performance, sound, looks. Of all the pipes I've looked at, heard, on rentals, owned, etc... the V&H Propipe HS 2-1 has my personal :) highest grade:

Performance: A (The 2-1 performance increase is noticeable)
Sound: A (Like a deeper and lower exhaust note versus loud and 2-1 deliver this)
Looks: B (Any 2-1 exhaust falls slightly below 2-2 systems imo appearance wise)

Haven't come across an A A A yet, but I'll take the A A B. :)
I hear that V&H makes the pipes for Pythons. The Python 2-1 apparently is the same as the V&H 2-1. Is this true? Have you listened to a Python 2-1? If both are the same, I like the looks of the Python version better. Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the looks of the new Rinehart 2-1. I love the thunderheader sound on twin cams. Exhaust is always a personal issue, good luck with your choice.
That is my favorite exhaust on a touring model. I also heard about the new Rinehart 2-1. I wonder what it sounds like compared to the V&H?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I hear that V&H makes the pipes for Pythons. The Python 2-1 apparently is the same as the V&H 2-1. Is this true? Have you listened to a Python 2-1? If both are the same, I like the looks of the Python version better. Your input is appreciated.
Yes, this is true. V&H is the maker of the Python pipe. I've heard the only difference is the slightly more expensive V&H pipe will sometimes have a more decorative or swappable muffler endcap.

HTH, Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a set of Python II on my 04 my buddy a set of V&H short shots on his he was always asking me to trade. And all but begged me to trade before I sold it.
I was always being asked what kind of pipes I had. They were much deeper than V&H.

·
Registered
49 Posts
have a v&h pro pipe on my heritage and my wife has one on her fatboy...would not have anything else...i could notice a difference in the performance. the sound is great! and it really cleans up the look of the bike...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the V-H Bigshots on my 03 Heritage. They sound and run great, only complaints are the length. The tips drag on the tight right hand turns, and you have to drop the pipe in order to remove the rear axle. Thinking of going to a 2 into 1 from RB Racing. I've heard lots of good stuff about those pipes and they make them to order, different configurations etc. Check www.rbracing-rsr.com. One hell of a website for performance pipes, turbos, fuel injuction stuff. These guys are very serious about performance, they do a lot of top fuel and land speed builds and they don't hesitate to call a turd a turd. If you are a tech junkie, this site should make your day. don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can understand why the V&H Shorts were not very deep... short pipe. Were the Python II's as short?
No they are between the V&H short and long shots.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Rinehart 2-into-1 Exhaust System

New 2-into-1 systems use high flow mitered cut 1-7/8" headers with a machined inlet for added exhaust velocity and improved anti-reversion qualities. Fat, full- coverage 2-1/4" heat shields prevent bluing; an additional heat shield gives the header muffler union a smooth, sleek look with megaphone style muffler that has a rich, deep tone. Billet aluminum end cap using Multi angles bell technology provides quicker throttle response and substantially improved torque and horsepower. Made in the USA.

I just won the bid on e-bay for these at under 400.00 and can't wait to install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rinehart 2-into-1 Exhaust System

New 2-into-1 systems use high flow mitered cut 1-7/8" headers with a machined inlet for added exhaust velocity and improved anti-reversion qualities. Fat, full- coverage 2-1/4" heat shields prevent bluing; an additional heat shield gives the header muffler union a smooth, sleek look with megaphone style muffler that has a rich, deep tone. Billet aluminum end cap using Multi angles bell technology provides quicker throttle response and substantially improved torque and horsepower. Made in the USA.

I just won the bid on e-bay for these at under 400.00 and can't wait to install them.
I sure do wish they'd make them for the V-Rod already!!!!

·
Large Member
173 Posts
I have the V-H Bigshots on my 03 Heritage. They sound and run great, only complaints are the length. The tips drag on the tight right hand turns, and you have to drop the pipe in order to remove the rear axle.

I put the axle in from the oposite side.Problem solved.

I have the long shots on my 04 Heritage.They are very loud and the bike runs great.They extend past the passenger and we can still talk,when nesessary,while cruisin.:ride

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is a awesome site!

I have the V-H Bigshots on my 03 Heritage. They sound and run great, only complaints are the length. The tips drag on the tight right hand turns, and you have to drop the pipe in order to remove the rear axle. Thinking of going to a 2 into 1 from RB Racing. I've heard lots of good stuff about those pipes and they make them to order, different configurations etc. Check www.rbracing-rsr.com. One hell of a website for performance pipes, turbos, fuel injuction stuff. These guys are very serious about performance, they do a lot of top fuel and land speed builds and they don't hesitate to call a turd a turd. If you are a tech junkie, this site should make your day. don
That is a awesome site! Check it out. A dude gets Blown off of a bike @ 208 MPH. And Lives!

·
Registered
6 Posts
RB makes some great pipes. Quality is second to none and they sound awesome - just a really deep rumble - loud but not obnoxious. This link has a pic of my Heritage with RB LSR exhaust. http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141

1 - 17 of 17 Posts