Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a new set of pipes for my bike. Right now I'm just running SE II Slip ons and a K&N highflo intake. I'm looking for performance more than anything without a borekit, I have a Zipper's Thundermax Autotune ECM and I can remap to numerous different pipes. I was looking into 2 into 1 exhausts. Does anyone have any input on the 2 into 1's ?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The one thing I know about 2 into 1's is that it is the most efficient exhaust setup on a V-Twin. The pulse of first cylinder scavenges the exhaust of the second making it flow better than 2 into 2.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
Im running a modified Thunderheader (actually quieter than stock believe it or not). Thunderheaders is one of the 2:1 exhausts that have been around the longest. I figure there's probably a reason why.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
I'm looking for performance more than anything without a bore kit
I think you ought to think twice about that decision...

I'll bet any set of pipes that can make anything like a credible claim to increased power,
will cost more than the 95" kit, and if you're a good scrounger you can probably beat that kit price.

Thunderheader for one is more than the cost of the 95" kit.

I, for one, and I'm sure there are many others, have a set of 1000 mile cylinders left over from the 1550 kit install,
I don't think it would cost $200 to have them bored to the 95" spec, and for sure that is all HD is doing.
Then you only need pistons and gaskets.

Pipes and cam and such are most usually only effective at higher rpm ranges.
I have the 95" kit, I want to tell you, and it works just great with your SE-II slip-ons,
and it works at 500 rpm and 1000 rpm and any time in any gear that you open up the throttle.

Labor costs are high, but if I was you, I'd do the labor myself and keep the SE-II pipes, just put 95" in front of them, for about the same price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you ought to think twice about that decision...

I'll bet any set of pipes that can make anything like a credible claim to increased power,
will cost more than the 95" kit, and if you're a good scrounger you can probably beat that kit price.

Thunderheader for one is more than the cost of the 95" kit.

I, for one, and I'm sure there are many others, have a set of 1000 mile cylinders left over from the 1550 kit install,
I don't think it would cost $200 to have them bored to the 95" spec, and for sure that is all HD is doing.
Then you only need pistons and gaskets.

Pipes and cam and such are most usually only effective at higher rpm ranges.
I have the 95" kit, I want to tell you, and it works just great with your SE-II slip-ons,
and it works at 500 rpm and 1000 rpm and any time in any gear that you open up the throttle.

Labor costs are high, but if I was you, I'd do the labor myself and keep the SE-II pipes, just put 95" in front of them, for about the same price.
Sounds like a winter project:D May have to see if the old man would let me use his lathe.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Everybody's business is slow, somebody might do it for under $100.
The Dealerships have winter service specials, but they really aren't so special.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
Sounds like a winter project:D May have to see if the old man would let me use his lathe.
Just a note. To bore the iron lined aluminum cylinders, torque plates need to be used.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
29860-04A From a Harley dealer, this kit is $659.00

I just looked it up from Zanotti's, it's only $502

I don't think you can get one of the better exhaust systems for that. Check the chart.
BTW, in the SE catalog that I have, I just plain do not see any 100/100 mods availablr, noting at all.
Maybe there has been a change in the point of measurement?

And.. for my own taste, I'd actually rather have the short stroke 95" than the long stroke 96", for no appreciable difference in displacement, IMHO, you get a lot of extra friction from miles and miles of extra ring travel.

Don't get me wrong, as exciting as the 1550 kit is in a TC88, the same kit in a TC96 makes a 103 !!

Here's the significant part of that kit that you don't need, it costs $139.00, if you could get that marked off the kit, the price of the parts that you do need would be down to near $350 !!

BTW, this dyno chart has always amazed me, for a simple air cleaner housing change, of all the charts in the SE catalog, I don't believe there is any upgrade as simple or cheap that claims this kind of gain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're looking only at pipes, 2 into 1's are the way to go but you're not going to get much more perfromance over what you're currently running.
Maybe 2-3 hp and a couple of ft/lbs of torque but that's about it.

If you're still looking for a 2 into 1, here my choices:

Propipe (if you can find a good used one)
Supertrapp
D&D Fatcat

Thunderheader was a good pipe and still is to a degree but they do produce less net HP gains over the above mentioned pipes and are famous for their low end torque dip.

Just my .02,

Krusr

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Last month a friend of mine had a 07 RK with 103 kit and thunder-max,cam,breather etc. and running a V&H pro pipe 2 into 1 while I had an 05 RK with 95 kit and cam,breather,race tuner and running stock pipes modified. We had 3 runs from start ,2nd. gear and 4th. gear and we were always nose to nose.
I'll tell you he was pissed at all the money he spent at the Stealer thinking he had the best stuff and was fast. The loud pro pipe makes you think your going faster than you think.
Now we both have 09 FLHX and are going no further than stage 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts