Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
What year and model? Regardless, I am amazed that happened after just 2000 miles. I have 60K miles on my '09 Ultra and they are like new compared to yours. Come on man, you took a sand blaster to them.....right? ;) My legs are chrome plated top to bottom, that probably makes a difference.

·
Registered
38,119 Posts
What did you use to clean those? Any kind of polish?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year and model? Regardless, I am amazed that happened after just 2000 miles. I have 60K miles on my '09 Ultra and they are like new compared to yours. Come on man, you took a sand blaster to them.....right? ;) My legs are chrome plated top to bottom, that probably makes a difference.
Brand new 2020 flhx Never been on salty roads. Hell actually been rode very little 2283 miles since August. I keep her clean to. I’ve got a pic of my 98 with 100000 miles they’re beautiful.
A4C171B0-DADA-424C-8BC7-019B3FAE1FCF.png

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yup, but hey what do you expect for your several 10's of thousands of dollars? My 2006 Triumph Rocket with 30,000 miles is starting to look like your legs, but only at the bottom few inches. I'd bet someone knows how to refurbish your forks with some sanding and re-coating with a much tougher finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, but hey what do you expect for your several 10's of thousands of dollars? My 2006 Triumph Rocket with 30,000 miles is starting to look like your legs, but only at the bottom few inches. I'd bet someone knows how to refurbish your forks with some sanding and re-coating with a much tougher finish.
I’m taking her back to dear tomorrow an see what they say. I’ll update thanks for insight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats what mine looked like, mostly from bug guts. The main reason that I put on Chrome sliders, it is easy to keep them clean.
You could probably clean the legs up with a scotch brite pad and a light touch but they would come back. or you could buff them out with a polisher and rubbing compond.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what mine looked like, mostly from bug guts. The main reason that I put on Chrome sliders, it is easy to keep them clean.
You could probably clean the legs up with a scotch brite pad and a light touch but they would come back. or you could buff them out with a polisher and rubbing compond.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I’m going see what Harley says before I buff them out. I expect them to say
“Thems your lowers” but I hope not. Lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would definitely head back to the dealership too . . . especially since it's under warranty!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Fork lowers are just clear coated with some kind of paint. Yours look like they were not properly cleaned before it was applied, and the aluminum is oxidizing under the coating. It is very easy to remove, even oven cleaner will take it off. They are not clear powder coated as some think. I took my '92 and '07 to bare alum. then polished the hell out of them. They almost look like chrome, and it does not take a lot of work to keep them nice.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,096 Posts
good to hear... I had that issue with my 17 RGS, dealer also replaced mine under warranty.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well it’s many weeks later and they are replacing my front lowers with new chrome legs. At no charge for all the troubles with H-D during covid 19. Timms Harley Davidson really fixed me up. Anderson SC.
Good fix with a happy outcome! Thanks for posting the end result.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
513 Posts
IMHO a $30K-$40K bike should come with chrome lowers as standard equipment, unless it's "blacked out".

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts