Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this Camo green Plasti-Dip Paint job for $37 with raddle-cans.

I did not tear it down but it took about 7hrs to tape off.

Saved $1500-$2000 if a professional painter would have torn it down ect??

I redid the bags so they look smooth now.......

I don't like it in 2-3 years, I just tear it off and no harm to the stock Vivid Black

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, really nice job. The color and texture looks great. You sir have bigger kohunas than me, I would have been scared sh*tless to attempt this.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Interesting idea. I don't see it lasting long. If you got tired of the color... You could have traded it in on a new bike with a different color. I wonder how much less you would get for a trade in with your new paint job.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
that stuff holds up well. my fork lowers are plastic painted for a while now. no change in color or peeling. been through many wash cycles an off road . clobbered by bugs bees an 1 bird, hahahahaha i sprayed clear over it after i sprayed it to bring some gloss.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Sh?#! If I knew of this, I wouldn't have gone bleed my wallet in paint and materials! But I heard of plasti dipping wheels and they looked good!

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Interesting idea. I don't see it lasting long. If you got tired of the color... You could have traded it in on a new bike with a different color. I wonder how much less you would get for a trade in with your new paint job.
My Jeep ZJ has been plasti dipped for a couple years now, is been through snow, ice, pressure washing and the general BS an off road vehicle suffers. In that time I've had to peel the paint off one fender and spray it again thanks to an aggressive tree. Other than that no problems.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm with some of the others here. I couldn't bring myself to try that. But you did a darn good job. Looks really good. I really wonder what its like to peel that stuff off though. Is it hard to do? Very time consuming?

·
Former Lurker
3,929 Posts
Sorry, I'm a bit on the side of the ones who would not have done this.
Did you have to rough up your original paint?
Was your original paint in bad shape or were you just looking for something different?

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Can you clear coat that stuff? If you could, I bet that would make it real hard to peel off later. Is the finish a plastic like coating similar to Rinoliner?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.