Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time this afternoon with 2 cans of Plasti-dip, lots of blue painters tape, and a good bit of patience.

I blacked out my tail light, rear turn signals, and battery band. For my first attempt i think it came out pretty good- there is some streaking on the tail light, and I'm going to do it over this weekend, since it's so easy to peel the plasti-dip off once it dries. I was spraying outside, and it was a little windy, so it was hard to keep things flowing smoothly.

Definitely learned a thing or two that will help me do it better next time. Plasti-dip is great though, matches the denim black on my Street Bob very well.

Attachments

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
That looks awesome. Love the murdered out look on a street bob.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tom31w! You live in Hoschton, huh? My wife's family lives in Buford, not too far from you. I go down to visit from NYC a few times a year. Would love to ride my Bob down one day.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Let me know when you plan to ride down, I'd try to make sure I am in town then. My office is in Herndon, VA and I live in Hoschton, so I go back and forth a lot. I am in GA more than VA. Would be great to link up for a bit of a ride and a cold one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the reason I read this forum every day. Members come up with the coolest ideas. I would have never thought of that. Thanks to all for sharing.

"The older I get, the better I was."

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Plasti dip holds up well, as long as it's not in a spot where you'll be rubbing against it. I have done it to a few things, including my horn cover, which didn't work well because of my pant legs rubbing it. The rest have been fine for the last 2k miles or so.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Plasti dip has been a hot trend in the off roading world for a couple years now. Guys are doing everything from wheels to interior parts with it.

I did the interior of my 4 runner with it. I ended up hating it because it is very hard to clean and dust sticks to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks great.....nice job....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Plasti Dip seems to hold up fairly well, provided you don't apply it to something that gets really hot, or something you will be rubbing up against constantly. For my battery band and rear signals, this shouldn't be a problem.

So much more I want to black out, but can't plasti-dip, so I went to Lombardi HD in Staten Island this afternoon, and ordered a wrinkle black derby cover and black levers to start.. also got the all black headlight bucket for my LED Daymaker.

more black = more better!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know when you plan to ride down, I'd try to make sure I am in town then. My office is in Herndon, VA and I live in Hoschton, so I go back and forth a lot. I am in GA more than VA. Would be great to link up for a bit of a ride and a cold one.
Tom31w, will do! Would love to meet up and hang. Will try to get in touch next time I make it down from NYC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great before and after pics. Looks good. I do wonder about the wear on the battery band though. Seems like the pant leg would hit it.

·
Bass Player
83 Posts
Looks good Nakleh. If you run into places where the dip doesn't hold up, rattle can truck bed liner works well. It's more of a textured finish, but extremely durable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts