Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with most I'm on a tight budget. I had purchased for $650.00 a used 103' kit with jugs and Pistons with stock heads and a set of 255 SE cams. The parts looked great on line. When I got them my mechanic said the parts were junk and had been scotch bright cleaned (they polished a turd) so starting over with hopefully a better education.

I'm trying to choose a cam and big bore kit this year and do the heads in a year or so.

First, from what I have read here, riding style is key. So I like to hot rod bar hop with buddies and two to three times a month we go 2 up touring in the mountains.

I think power should wind up around 2500 give or take

103? 106? 107? Is there a noticeable difference with stock heads and are there issues with heat?

Or I guess the other option would be keep the 96' and do the heads and cam

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Chuck

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
A 107 or 103 will definitely get you the most power, but it will be the most expensive for sure. You will be able to get decent power adding cams and exhaust to your bike with a tuner. If you go big bore you can multiply by 3 by the time you are done.
The big bore kits should not give you heat problems but you do end up with some pretty thin wall cylinders when you get done boring them or get the S&S 106 with new cylinders. They may be thin also but you will always have your stock ones to put back on if needed.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
As with most I'm on a tight budget. I had purchased for $650.00 a used 103' kit with jugs and Pistons with stock heads and a set of 255 SE cams. The parts looked great on line. When I got them my mechanic said the parts were junk and had been scotch bright cleaned (they polished a turd) so starting over with hopefully a better education.

I'm trying to choose a cam and big bore kit this year and do the heads in a year or so.

First, from what I have read here, riding style is key. So I like to hot rod bar hop with buddies and two to three times a month we go 2 up touring in the mountains.

I think power should wind up around 2500 give or take

103? 106? 107? Is there a noticeable difference with stock heads and are there issues with heat?

Or I guess the other option would be keep the 96' and do the heads and cam

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Chuck
sounds like what im doing right now - found a good used andrews cam($65) a pair of as new pistons(75$) from a fellow member and a set of jugs($65) also from a member- hillside bored honed gaped rings and supplied rings for 250- had hillside install bigger intake valves performance valve job and a set of s&s springs -little under 400 total on heads
spent money on specialty tools instead of paying a mechanic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rosconey, sounds like exactly what I would like to do.
Sorry I didn't list the bike. It's an ultra classic. Stripped to look more like a street glide.
How much power is a loaded question. If I could hit 100+ TQ I would be thrilled, anything above that would be a huge bonus. I ride 2 up at high altitude, and also hot rod around town. the guys I ride with have 103 CVOs. It would be nice for a change to let them see my tail lights lol

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
well you got a set of heads you could send out to get done right- a pair of jugs you could get rebored and honed into a 106-107 -add a andrews 48 cam

so its not like you have nothing to start with

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
You can come close to 100TQ with cams, exhaust etc on a 96 but you will still need some kind of tuner unless you can get someone to flash your ECU with a tune close to what you need which will be a shot in the dark you will need to add a tuner. And unless you do all the labor your self, the price starts climbing, especially when you replace the whole top end and add push rods gaskets and all with maybe some head work.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, I just want you to be aware that it always cost a lot more than you expect. But if you can do the labor your self you will save a bundle.
I built my last bike from a 88 to a 97 and built my existing bike from a 96 to a 107 so I have been there.

Good luck and I hope it turns out like you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rosconey what you have done within that budget is extremely impressive my budget is just under 2k with labor.
The parts I bought were "not worth using" old heads and damaged cylinders, unfortunately. The route I'm considering going down is the S&S 106 or finding someone I can have bore my current jugs out to a 103/106/107 and a good set of good cams. Or keep the 96' getting the heads done and using my current (not installed) S&S 510 cams. I can't afford to do both.
The question of what size motor is based on things I have read ie. With the 107 the thin cylinder walls, heat issues and longer stroke will make the motor wear out faster. Honestly I don't know if there is any validity to those statements or not.

My Current list of parts
SERT
adjustable pushrods
S&S 510 cams

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Rosconey what you have done within that budget is extremely impressive my budget is just under 2k with labor.
The parts I bought were "not worth using" old heads and damaged cylinders, unfortunately. The route I'm considering going down is the S&S 106 or finding someone I can have bore my current jugs out to a 103/106/107 and a good set of good cams. Or keep the 96' getting the heads done and using my current (not installed) S&S 510 cams. I can't afford to do both.
The question of what size motor is based on things I have read ie. With the 107 the thin cylinder walls, heat issues and longer stroke will make the motor wear out faster. Honestly I don't know if there is any validity to those statements or not.

My Current list of parts

SERT
adjustable pushrods
S&S 510 cams
The thinner cylinder walls should not be a problem unless you scratch a cylinder with the 107,you do not have enough wall left to rebore the cylinders. You have a little left to work with if you start with a 103.

Heat is not an issue unless you ride in a lot of stop and go traffic. You will have overheat problems with any bike if you don't have enough airflow.

Your 96" has the same stroke as the 103,106 and 107".

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i only went 103 because of the price- i got everything and machine work cams bearings gasket set for the price of s&s 106 kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your help it is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Ok, on to the cam selection will the S&S 585 cams work with stock heads?
I like the torque curve I've seen on Dynos using this cam as well as the easy start option
How do I decide what size head gasket
Also any recommendations on gasket kits?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
thank you all for your help it is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Ok, on to the cam selection will the S&S 585 cams work with stock heads?
I like the torque curve I've seen on Dynos using this cam as well as the easy start option
How do I decide what size head gasket
Also any recommendations on gasket kits?
That cam wants 10.5, 10.6 cr to show itself, plus a good set of heads, intake, exhaust system.........then it'll run VERY well.
One of our clients has a 107" with the above set-up posted on YouTube........it rev's VERY quickly.:thumbsup:thumbsup
Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with stock heads (head work to come in the next year or two) what do you think my best option is for a cam. With the 106 or 107. Here are a few options I'm not stuck on one specific cam.
S&S 585 20˚/45˚ 60˚/20˚ 245˚ 260˚ .585" 102.5˚ 110˚ .186" .179"
TW-555
TW-777
Thank you all again

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Our 107" engines with a .040" head gasket under the OE 85cc chamber shows 10.0 cr.
That is the right compression ratio for an S&S .570, which we currently offer in a kit form.:)
Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hillsidecycleco
If I run the S&S570 do I have to change any other parts, head work or are they just bolt in. I already have adjustable pushrods.
I'm extremely interested in the 107 kit what does it cost and is it an out right purchase or do you use my cylinders.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts