Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned a lot from read post and wish to thank all of you!!! I have a 2008 road king classic and it will crank but won't fire. Checked all fuses and took breather off and sprayed starting fluid and then it fired till it burns it up. Was reading the post on ckp sensor and it has back-fired in past but chalked it up to bad gas. Any help would be so thankful!!!
Randy

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Any codes?

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
If it'll run on the starting fluid it's fuel related. Start with the fuel level, then the pump (check power to the pump)

Be careful using the starting fluid too much. That stuff will wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only tried starting fluid 3 times but saw a link on one of the post on how to check codes. Going to try it this weekend, I tried once before but never got any codes. Only thing I can think of it's not getting fuel, pump kicks on when I turn on run switch. I know it had a recall on it so I wrote down vin # and called Harley shop and they said it has been fixed. It only has 8,100 miles on it so I'm stumped!!!!! I feel it was best to ask all of you for any help that anyone has to offer
Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for letting me know about the starting fluid!!!!!! I've heard it hard on gaskets so I didn't want to use much of it but never knew it would wash the oil off the cylinder walls!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've learned a lot from read post and wish to thank all of you!!! I have a 2008 road king classic and it will crank but won't fire. Checked all fuses and took breather off and sprayed starting fluid and then it fired till it burns it up. Was reading the post on ckp sensor and it has back-fired in past but chalked it up to bad gas. Any help would be so thankful!!!
Randy
Listen to your fuel tank, does the pump come on and then quit after a few seconds ? Do you hear a spraying sound from the tank ?

Without doing a fuel pressure check, it's hard to say exactly what it is , although it's most likely to be a fuel pump problem.....replace pump is the answer . Pick a pump up off of E-bay for 19.95 , Another Thread has the particulars about it . Search is your friend too . :thumb

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
As Webco said above, you can use the search function to find a lot of info but I like to start new threads myself to make sure I get the latest info from both new and veteran members. Either way works.

Make sure you post up what you find out so this can be used in the future by the next guy!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX. We hope you stick around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As soon as I can figure this out I sure will post what the problem was and part cost and level of repair ease
Randy

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
As soon as I can figure this out I sure will post what the problem was and part cost and level of repair ease
Randy
We like that. This way we all can learn more about problems and their solutions.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
That sounds like the symptom related to a cracked fuel filter. A fuel pressure test will pinpoint that problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts