Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sporty Seventy Two model with a 2.1 tank.
I am still under 200 miles, and have not been getting on the throttle either. Been riding speed limit and have not been dogging it.
First fill up my gas light came on around 45 miles, topped off tank.
Second time gas light came on round 45-50 miles said to myself people been telling me they get 90 miles or better on tank full. So I keep on going went to 61 miles ran out of gas, bone dry tank was.
If I am only getting 61 to a tank full I will have to fill it up twice one way to work. From my house to work is 67 miles. If this is the case I am not going to like this gas tank.
:bluduh:bluduh
Thanks
Wolvie

·
2,327 Posts
It's a 2013 !!!!! Unless you're seeing a puddle or trail of fuel on the ground, take it back to the dealer :whoa

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,361 Posts
Definitely bring it back to the dealer and let them worry about it.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Ain't right.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the 2013 1200 Custom Sportster with a tad less than 1,000 miles. I'm getting around 46 mpg. I'm told it will get a bit better. I have the 4.5 gallon tank, so I get a better range, but you should be getting about 96 miles on your tank if your mileage is the same as mine.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Yea dude that is wayyy off the mark. Take it I that isn't right whatsoever. That's like 30mpg. On my 1200 I have never even been able to get down to that, and believe me I was trying!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if dealer says there nothing wrong with it? And that is normal for the mileage?
Does anybody here have any suggestions what it might be cause that?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I get the kind of mileage in the car that your getting.......You should have the dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What if dealer says there nothing wrong with it? And that is normal for the mileage?
I get 42 on a 900 pound Ultra with a mix of city and highway so you should get around 50.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Does the bike run well other than mileage? If it didn't then it would be easier to say but....
After some mileage as the engine breaks in more and kinda wears in mileage should increase at least a little. Try using the rev range a little more. Don't, get on it, but try to shift a little later. You don't have a tach, but try to shift at around 3k rpm each gear and see what happens, or at least what feels around there. Can't hurt!

You sure your not lugging it at all. That'll reduce fuel economy for sure...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 5mpg more you might see after 2-3k miles. That being said, you shouldn't be at 30 even on a brand new engine as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not trying to question your skill or knowledge here, but what is your riding experience? Are you used to sport bikes? Maybe you are riding it harder then you think you are hell I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bikeless....for now!
5,111 Posts
Considering ur going to commute with the bike u might consider a larger tank. I know I know, the peanut tank is what makes the bike other than the paint but it only makes sense. I switched the wifes 48 tank out for a 3.3gal tank cause I was sick of constantly having to look for gas stations when were out riding together. If u do go this route try not to sell the 2.1 if u don't have to!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to drive to dealer tomorrow and talk to the service person. Dont have an appointment but this sunday supposed to take a ride to the ocean, and dont want to be stopping 8 times one way.

·
Bikeless....for now!
5,111 Posts
Sittin here thinkin about it and the wifes stock 2.1gal got about an average of 65 miles out of a tank, I pushed it once and got 70. With the 3.3 that's on it now it averages 95-100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been riding for 28 yrs now, and yes I came from a sport bike to a sportster. My first sportster was an 2008 XL1200L 3.4 gallon tank, I rode that thing every where and got great mileage. Still ride the same on my 2013 Seventy two model and know it's a smaller tank but dam 60ish miles and then I am pushing the bike. Something wrong! Like I said I am driving to dealer tomorrow to talk to them. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help on here

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Let us know what they say. Good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I may be wrong, but you may not to be computing mpg correctly. There is at least 1/2 gal of fuel left when light comes on. 2.1 minus .5 equals 1.6 gal used. 45 divides by 1.5 equals 30mpg. I got that a couple of times under 5k miles. But, 61 miles divided by 1.5 equals 40.66. Now we're in the ballpark. Make sure you get the gas ticket and divide miles by actual gal. Sorry, if you are a mathematician, and you've done all this, and now you're mad. But, from your entry, it seemed like you might be closer to spit balling than being scientific. My mileage seemed to get better after 5k mi. and still varies from 34 in winter (with longer warm ups and stops,) to a combined of 42 with some longer (30 mile) trips, 39 or 40 when it is mostly shorter trips. Frankly, I like the look of the 48, I like the stock apes of the 72, but I bought a custom because of the 4.5 gal gas tank, and I don't have a long commute.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wolverine,
I have an 05 heritage 731+ pounds I get 42 MPG up hill, down hill or off a cliff.
sounds like you definatly have an issue I just cant tell you what the solution is.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
The Sportsters I service get around 85 miles from the small tanks.
Does your bike have any modifications, like muffs and air cleaner ???
You might want to think about buying the next size larger tank.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts