Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, kinda new to motorcycles so I could use some advice on plug wires. I'm pretty sure my 97 Sportster 1200 came stock with 8mm wires but not possitive. I've seen some 12mm wires out there and wonder if they would be a wise move over the 8mm. Also what do you guys like to use as far as a brand.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As long as it is to spec, a wire is a wire for performance. The fat ones look cool though, and the better the insulation, the longer they last.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just get a set of these, I've had SE some fancy chrome looking wires and now crane FireWire, for the price there as good as any plug wire. This is for your sportster.

Don't be surprised if they don't say crane fire wire on them. After I got a set I called crane "S&S" now, and they said they had run them for a while and they did not say crane FireWire on them.

Crane Cams FireWire Spark Plug Wire 8-5002 | eBay

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Except for looks, a wire is a wire. Nothing special about motorcycle wires. In 97 the wires may have been 7mm. But again, if the wires are "good" not defective or of poor quality, any wire will work.

·
Retired citizen
22,074 Posts
I tend to use the stock diameter wires because they fit into the wire looms / clamps.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
My preference is stock.. this is just a heads up, for those that like the steel braided ones. Make real sure you have grounded those properly, the outer casing comes with a ground. I had em on my sporty and after watching em arc under my gas tank, they were replaced with stock. Look cool, yes... safe... not so much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Point taken Gold. Not a great place for an arc. 83XLX nice color matching with the decal. They look great.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Make yours to suit you. I relocated my coil and the stock wires were way to long. I either had to shorten them or have some custom ones made. I found some retro looking wire on line from one vendor and ordered the terminals and boots from another. The wire you use does make a difference if your bike has a computer which yours does not. If the bike has a computer the wires need to be designed for EMI suppression. The better suppression wire has the main conductor in the center with a layer of insulating material around that. Then there is a very small wire wound around (I dare you to say that 3 times really fast) that for EMI suppression and another layer of insulating material around that. Since your bike has no computer plain old spark plug wire should do just fine. The wire I used was 8mm, only because that is the most common size now and that was the size of the wire I liked. Oh yeah if you are wondering EMI is Electro Magnetic Interference which can interfer with an ignition computer and can cause several engine problems.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts