Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Maine in the winter it is essential to think SPRING. so we are planning a trip to VA and TN for the month of April on our RKC and sidecar and just wondered if anyone out there has any great rides or destinations in those states? I am a photographer so I am looking for scenic areas although my wife does insist on a trip to Dollywood! I have a trip to Great Smokey Natl Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway planned.
Thanks .

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Howdy Scrinch... I live in the Northern VA area.. There are several rides that I can recommend for the spring. Probably the most scenic one is "Skyline Drive".. Its in the Shenandoah National Park. It costs about $10 per vehicle including motorcycles. This drive from beginning to end is about 105 miles and takes at least a few hours. There is a halfway point turnaround with gas and some food. If you follow skyline to the end, north to south, you can continue onto the blue ridge parkway.. again, very scenic and a great ride. Just be ready for the switchbacks and mountain roads. There are several more rides that I've done that are really nice. Just depends on how much you want to see and how much time you have. Post a reply and let me know how long you have and I'll try to help you out. TONS of stuff from wilderness rides to historic rides like civil war battlefields, revolutionary themed rides, etc..

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
the blue ridge parkway is nice .. its gorgeous any time of year..

in tennessee there are plenty of back roads and historic things to see..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

Hopefully we will have about a month from about April 7 until May 7 or so.

Our plan is to bring our toy hauler to "camp", using that as a base and do day trips on the bike. We are both interested in History and the Civil War , beautiful scenery etc. If you could give me some leads I could google them and research further.

We bought the toy hauler on E-bay from KY, really thought Va was beautiful, and wanted to go there when we had more time.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is Dollywood near Gatlinburg? I think it is... And Gatlinburg is real close to the Dragon's Tail (Deal's Gap). Beautiful ride anywhere in that area. We were down there this past September.
heh... The Tail of the Dragon on a bike with a side car. Send pictures!

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
My brother lives in Va. does the Skyline Drive in the fall by car, told it's great. That's about all I know, oh Rt. 81 is covered in tires at times, don't know how you're going may want to avoid that Rd. by bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not from there but I road the Skyline Drive, Blue ridge Parkway, and 2 day trips around Asheville NC last year. All good riding and very pretty! I went through Gatlinburg on Saturday and it was like a parade, slow.
If you are starting in Maine the whole trip will be good!
Bill:ride
Take lots of pic's and enjoy

Attachments

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
well there are plenty of civil war sites.. when you pin down your plans you should post up .. if you are anywhere near me i would love to go ride with you guys

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far Skyline Drive is for certain and probably that whole area. I ordered up my DeLorme Atlas for TN and VA so now I can dream all winter of riding the roads I see on the maps, It beats just looking at the bike in the garage.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Hey Scrinch.. look into the Manassas, VA area as well. There are several Civil War battlefield routes I've run and they are pretty awesome. I will try to get you some actual Rt/Hwy numbers. I tend to just jump off of I-66 and drive for a couple of hours and have my Zumo get me back home. If you dont mind city driving, there is a route that takes you through Old Town Alexandria that is sweet. Gets you to all the places George Washington hung out, the Potomac River, etc.. I can send you that as well. In fact, I'll be around in April, hell, I'll ride with you!!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts