Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some threads on this issue. My 2005 XL pops on decel, but also sputters occasionally while revving the engine after decel. Don't mind the popping, but the sputter, and momentary hesitation is a concern. Checked the header pipe bolts, and they were reasonably snug. New gasket from air filter to carb is tight...which only leaves the gasket from the carb to the engine as a question. How can I check to see if there are any leaks there. Removing the carb is probably above my skill level. Any other way to check this?
Bike has Screamin' Eagle pipes and Stage One air filter. Not sure if the carb had the Stage 1 upgrade, as I bought the bike used last fall.
Appreciate any help.
thanks.

·
Retired citizen
24,505 Posts
With the engine idling squirt some WD-40 around the intake seals at the head joint. If the engine rpm changes the seals are leaking and can cause the symptom you described.
Be careful to not get any spray into the air cleaner or it'll flub the test.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...forgot to mention that I checked the plugs, no carbon build-up. Will try your WD-40 suggestion. I did notice when I removed the air cleaner that the plastic plate that attaches to the carb seemed sticky...like perhaps gas (the likely solvent) was getting on the plastic.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,192 Posts
OK...forgot to mention that I checked the plugs, no carbon build-up. .
Thanks
Were both plugs the same? If they were very white your running lean.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Intake seals OK. Both plugs OK. Runs fine on the road, just sputters periodically after decel....when just moving out from stop...stalls sometimes, but rarely. Average MPG about 41. Really annoying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're removing the carb it might be worth noting the size of the pilot jet, how many turns out your idle mixture screw is from lightly seated and also if your needle has an adjustable clip on it/ or washers under it which would indicate the carb has had some form of stage one. Also check what size main jet you have, if for no other reason than for reference at some later point.

If you're lucky and the screws aren't too solid, you maybe able to remove the 4 float bowl screws with the carb remaining on the bike if you have right sized screwdrivers.
If you do it that way, remember to re-install the accelerator pump rod if this is an area you aren't familiar with removing.

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 84 ironhead was doing the same I took both heads off reseated the valves [ both exhaust valves were sticky ] fixed problem. was able to remove rear rocker cover without removing the head to replace the gasket. quite easily

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now...bike will not start cold on the first try....will start on the second attempt. Warm starts OK....something new. Checked that there was not too much oil, and indeed, oil level OK. Cleaned the air filter. Filled up tank WITHOUT Star Tron additive this time...93 octane. Thought that I might have used too much on the last few fill-ups. Enricher will NOT stay out on its own for cold start. I have to attach a spring clip to hold it out. Afraid to tighten the enricher knob too much, as it is only plastic. Also noticed that the knob pops out from full closed after warm-up..about 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch.
Still trying to avoid that carb removal!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I noticed that you indicated that you are using 93 octane and I just wanted to say that you don't need to buy 93 octane fuel, that bike would not have anywhere near a high enough compression to require that fuel, so you are just throwing your money away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts