Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 anniversary heritage springer, it has the stock carb on it, when im riding it will pop if im just crusing along with out really giving it any throttle, or if im sitting at a stop light and go to take off, the first bit of throttle I give it, it will pop, at high rpm, it don't do it. if I run with a little bit of choke, it will not do it at all, is this a carb problem? what would cause this?

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Introduction before questions is good . Run some seafoam thru it and make sure timing is right.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Check intake manifold for leaks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Check intake manifold for leaks.
Yep, unless you made big changes to your exhaust or intake right before this started (causing it to lean out), check your intake manifold for leaks. This is a very common problem, but will overheat your heads if not fixed. It will also get worse until it suddenly leaves you stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same issue last spring with my 1998 Heritage. Pull the carb and the rubber boot that connects it to the intake manifold. I would bet you have a small crack in the rubber boot, which is allowing air to be sucked in and thus leaning out the mixture. During the intake cycle the vacuum pressure is more than enough to suck air in through the smallest crack. Also while you have the cab off remove the intake manifold and replace the gaskets there too. This took care of my issue right away.

·
Registered
864 Posts
One way to check for intake leaks is to start the bike and then spray a little starting fluid around the intake being careful to keep it out of the air filter. If the motor starts to increase when you spray it then you have an intake leak producing a "lean" condition that is causing the popping. The real problem here is a lean condition also produces a hotter motor that could overheat. Older bikes are known for having rubber intake boots that dry out and crack. Nice thing is its a pretty easy fix. The bike will run way better then. Good luck with your project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts