Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first street bike last month. 2014 HD Fatboy Lo in vivid black V&H short shots and stage one air cleaner.
I have put about 250 miles on it just around my local neighborhood and
short rides on a couple of Saturday and Sundays to empty parking lots to get use to it.
Yesterday (Friday afternoon) I decided to take my longest ride I have been on yet. I went to the next town over about 45 minutes away to see the wife at work. Great ride a few back roads and a couple of busy state roads. Had a blast got more comfortable in the seat.
But it was the ride home that popped the cherry.
I live in Fl and the saying goes if you dont like the weather just wait five minutes it will change.
I talked to a few of the guys that ride at the wifes work and I noticed the build up of storm clouds. I said my goodbyes and headed out. A short distance from the shop the rain let loose. I have never ridden in rain before and when I saw the poor down I was headed into I bit of clinching came on. No time like the present ya know. Drove it a bit slow in the real heavy stuff and Im sure the guys in cars were bitchin but I actually enjoyed it in a crazy way. At least I know now what I can do and I ready for the next challenge.
My neighbor who rides the ultra classic across the street asked If I wanted to do the breakfast Ride to Ruskin on Sunday (hell yeah)

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Good for you, rain isn't that bad as long as you're careful. Now get out there and pop some more!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Congrats.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
I remember riding home from Collision II, had a lot of rain, HOURS of rain. But I was on the slab and traffic wasn't heavy and my rain gear worked pretty well (have upgraded it since) and all in all it was a pleasant ride--except for a few times I had to pull over cause it was raining too hard to see. Around here locally if rain is imminent I don't need to ride. But if you are already out--especially if out of town--you just have to grin and bear it.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
I remember riding home from Collision II, had a lot of rain, HOURS of rain. But I was on the slab and traffic wasn't heavy and my rain gear worked pretty well (have upgraded it since) and all in all it was a pleasant ride--except for a few times I had to pull over cause it was raining too hard to see. Around here locally if rain is imminent I don't need to ride. But if you are already out--especially if out of town--you just have to grin and bear it.
And what rain gear works best for you Joe?

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
And what rain gear works best for you Joe?
JPR, after reading mostly favorable comments here I sprung for the HD Hi-Vis rain outfit. Haven't needed it yet but sooner or later I will. And I argued very "politely" and got 15% off and paid for it with my Harley bucks which I didn't really need for anything else HD. I think the stated price is $185 but so many on this forum said that's what they ended up with and were pleased so I got it. Previously had something a lot cheaper from a Cycle Gear outlet--not too bad but leaked a little and I definitely like the Hi-Vis aspect of the HD suit.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
So you want a new rider who has never ridden in the rain before to take a selfie while he's attempting it for the first time?

And I thought Andy was the resident sadistic sicko on this forum.=)

--

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
Think he meant pics of bike

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It was a joke.

-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys I can hardly take one of my hands of the bars to wave at another rider. I know I cant take a selfie while riding rain or shine ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have to admit, the title caught my eye. Then after reading, I remembered that I have lost my rain gear. I got caught in a bad storm that soaked even everything in my wallet. I was miserable. I'm going to look or my gear now. Enjoy your bike!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
I remember my first ride in the rain, scared the heck out of me, but I thought nothing I can do about, just slowed down and took my time

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Outstanding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts