Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Just Chillin..
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be considered a poser? What is a true biker? Just wondering.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
who the fuk cares?

i get out and ride my bike.. end of story.. i dont care if ppl think i am a poser or a "true biker" i just like riding as much and as often as i can

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Biker: one who owns/rides a bike
Poser: one who acts like it, but doesn't own or ride

Er: biker minus the bike

If ya ride and love it, jump on ur scoot and tear up the highway and don't worry 'bout how you are tagged

·
Just Chillin..
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was to funny Hawkmann.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My definition, and nobody else's.........

To me, a Poser is the guy that wears every item possible from the HD boutique, constantly brags to his friends how much he rides, and is concerned more with his appearence, and that people see him with his bike, or knows he owns a Harley. The truth is, he barely rides, and is more concerned with wiping his bike down then he is riding it, learning about it or just plain enjoying it.

Everyone here probably knows this guy.... He's the one that sits at the bar/Starbucks/(Insert establishment here), wearing Harley garb on a nice day, and always has an excuse for why he isn't out riding. (If he owns a Harley at all...)

He's the guy that bought his bike, because internet dating didn't work out for him, and he heard that owning a HOG might get him laid, or attract women like a porch light attracts moths. (I spared you the "Flied to crap" analogy)

He's the guy that got beat up in school and lost countless amounts of lunch money, and now thinks that sporting an HD tee-shirt, chain wallet and a Harley under his ass, that the world will instantly see him as a Ruff-N-Tuff biker, and he'll be instantly moved to the top of the food chain.

He's the guy that's more concerned with the loudness of his Harley, or what new chrome he's recently bolted on, despite the fact that the bike runs poorly, is unsafe, or leaks oil like the Exxon Valdez AFTER the accident.....

Get the picture?

The title "Biker" is something society made up. It was usually used in a negative reference as well. Anyone that rides is a biker. One that bikes......

Hobbiest, motorcycle owner, whatever. It's just a label....

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
well said, Dave.

now I better go get my bike dirty, cut the chain off my wallet, take off some of the chrome (scratch that, pay someone to take it off). Get rid of my HD sunglasses, my HD wrist watch, take off my HD Biker Blues Khaki pants and HD plaid button down shirt.
Suppose since it is raining and I won't be riding today, I can take off my Licensed HD bandanna and $600 HD leather jacket. Shit, now I gotta change my perfectly pressed and starched HD boxer shorts, and while I'm at it, I'll purposely scuff up my nicely polished HD boots. And as far as my oil leak, don't have one, once it runs out, it doesn't leak any more.
Now I'm a real rough biker!
Hold on, got to answer my Fatboy tank shaped phone. Dammit, now the sound of loud pipes, that would be my HD styled alarm clock.

hehehe, damn, if I had all that shit, I wouldn't be able to afford a bike.

and Yes, everyone, this is all sarcasm, I don't press my shorts! haha

·
Registered
317 Posts
This question is one that ranks right up there with, "What kind of oil should I use, synthetic or not?" It's SO old and SO tired and SO indefinable as to defy description. (No offense meant to the asker, really; once you've been around motorcycle forums for a while you'll see what I mean.)

Personally, I don't give a damn whether people think I "qualify" to be a "real" biker or not. It's just a label, and it's not real high on my priority list of things to worry about. But as for me, 6 days out of 7 will find me wearing SOMETHING with the H-D logo or the words "Harley-Davidson" on it, simply because I absolutely LOVE Harleys! I'm either wearing a t-shirt, a garage shirt (I have seven of them left over from my days as a Harley salesman at a dealership), a belt buckle, a jacket, or a hat, or any combination of the above. I have a bar and shield logo in the middle of the rear window of my pickup truck, as well as on my chain wallet. I wear leather not because I think I look "cool" or "badass" in it, but because it's durable, warm, and comfortable, and will protect me in a crash better than nylon or nothing will.

I also own a Harley (I used to own two, but had to sell one last year), ride it as often as I can, and average ten thousand miles a year. I plan my vacations around bike trips, since my wife also has a Harley. The only time you'll see my scoot on a trailer is if it's broken down and I'm taking it to the shop for repairs (something that I can't fix myself); other than that, if I'm going someplace that involves my bike then I ride it there and back. I hold the opinion that a bad day on a ride is better than my best day at work. If I don't get my knees in the breeze at least once a week I start to get the DTs.

I used to be one of those guys who loved a clean, shiny bike with lots of chrome (one look at a pic of my Heritage proves that), but now I've gone over to "the dark side" with my Nightster. I still like to keep my bike clean, but I really don't miss polishing all that chrome!

There are those out there that still would not consider me a "real" biker, but like I said, I just don't care. I, too, hold people who buy a bike and then ride it to the coffee shop and back in high disdain, but I also try and tell myself that if it works for them, then that's fine and it's not my business. But I damn sure won't ride with them - because their skills, or lack thereof, make them dangerous to me and everyone else, not because I think they're a "poser."

Simply put: if you have a bike and you ride, you're a biker. That's how I feel.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Went to Fayettville for the Blues, Bikers and BBQ event in September last year. You pull in and there is thousands of bikes. All perfectly lined up. My friend and I had just parked our bikes and this group of "real bikers" pulled up. The looked rough. They looked tough. They found a spot two rows back from us. There were four of them. I am locking my bike with my "non Harley" lock and just getting ready to go into the festival area. Takes time - usually talking to others. Well - these guys are reving up their ever so loud bikes - like I said, look like they would kill someone. The one guy had his lady get off the back - then he got off. Forgot to put the kickstand down and caused a chain reaction of about 15 bikes going down. Course - none of those owners were around. His Lady proceeded to give his the best ARS chewing I have ever heard and he said nothing - actually thought he was gonna cry. My friend, his wife and I, and the few people we were talking to had to turn our backs because we didn't want them to see us laughing. Cheryl (GF) and I were in tears. They were REAL BIKERS.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Most of the posers I see are the ones that only ride on the three major summer holidays. They average 200 miles a year on their ride and never make it past the first oil change before they sell it. They have every "outfit" as my daughter in law says, that HD sells and they would actually spit out that butterfly, instead of just chewing it up.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Most of the posers I see are the ones that only ride on the three major summer holidays. They average 200 miles a year on their ride and never make it past the first oil change before they sell it. They have every "outfit" as my daughter in law says, that HD sells and they would actually spit out that butterfly, instead of just chewing it up.
too funny! But grasshoppers taste better:rofl:

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
Dave -- Probably one of the best definitions i have read so far...

too funny! But grasshoppers taste better:rofl:
You know there is actually a bug here in Oklahoma that taste like licorice, too bad i hate licorice :D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
This question is one that ranks right up there with, "What kind of oil should I use, synthetic or not?"
I love that question..... I wish it was asked more. :eek7

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
A ll I know is I think about riding when I'm not and planning trips/rides with or without others and really could careless if someone was watching. Trailered it once when wife and 3 kids went to DW during DBW:nod:nod. Like to see others riding and hope they get as much out of it I do. That's all I can say about that.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.