Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm having an issue that I believe may be a clutch in need of replacement but I don't want to go to the trouble until I get a little feedback from people here who have more knowledge about it than I do.

The bike is an 06' Softail Deluxe (EFI) with 8,800 miles on it.

When I start out in 1st gear and roll on the throttle everything is fine up to around 45 MPH (My Deluxe doesn't have a tach so I don't know the actual RPM). At around 45 MPH (under hard acceleration) the RPMs shoot up but the bike doesn't pick up speed. It pulls pretty strong up until that point in the RPM range. If I let the throttle go and ease it back on, it picks up speed as would be expected. It only happens under really hard acceleration and it only seems to happen in 1st gear.

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noticed it a couple of days ago when trying to get out of the way of someone in a pickup truck not paying attention. I was in 1st gear and jumped into it hard trying to put distance between us. The RPMs seemed to roll on as normal until I hit 45MPH or so. Then the RPMs "ran away" and the bike stayed the same speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the time it happened I didn't notice how fast I was going. I was busy just trying to move out of the guy's way.

Today I got on an empty road and replicated it so that I could notice this time at what speed it happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's almost as if the bike gets into the power band and the clutch breaks loose.

You're probable right in that it's not a drag bike and shouldn't be ridden like one. I'm used to riding sport bikes (for the past 30 years or so) and am a recent addition to the Harley community. I'm used to rolling on the throttle and not letting go until it screams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I tried that yesterday and it doesn't seem to be slipping when checked that way. It's only in 1st gear under hard acceleration once it gets to higher RPM levels. Idle through around 45 MPH under hard acceleration it doesn't miss a beat. It's just when that hard acceleration continues beyond around 45 MPH. Had the pickup truck guy not tried to drive up my rear end I'd probably never have noticed because I'd probably not have ever wound the motor up that tight.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I'm guessing that you are hitting the rev limiter at 45 mph in 1st. gear. My bikes (with tach's) are redlining about then. You are mistaking falling on it's face for runaway rpm? Just my guess. Clutch slippage is always more noticeable in higher gears than lower.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
rolling on the throttle and not letting go until it screams.
Not a necessary or desirable thing to do with a Harley. Use the low rpm torque the Harley has. It's a beautiful thing ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just looking at the handbook for my Deluxe CVO and it quotes the following, Gear Change. First to Second 15mph, Second to Third 25mph
Third to Fourth 35mph, Fourth to Fifth 45mph, Fifth to Sixth 55mph.
So if you're hitting 45 in first your bouncing of the rev limiter. As mentioned use the torque.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,128 Posts
The rev limit is usually somewhere between 5600 and 6400, at least on the older bikes I have experience with. Not sure the late TCs and M8s but early TC's and Evos. I can't remember exactly, but it's somewhere in there.

A quick calculation using some basic/common numbers puts you at around 6500 rpm in first gear at 45 mph (based on a 130/90-16" rear wheel, overall drive ratio of 3.37:1 and first gear ratio 3.24:1). So yeah, would also put money on bouncing off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
If you carry on bouncing off the rev limiter to much you'll be changing more then your clutch.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, those other guys are right. You're hitting the rev limiter, which is as it should be. A Softail with a "B" twincam isn't supposed to be rev'ed past 6500. Any of the outfits that build the balanced twin cams are very specific about not going over 6500. If you continue to do that, it's probably gonna be all bad. Anyway, either learn that or buy you a scoot with an "a" motor or maybe just learn to shift to 2nd gear.lol good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I appreciate the advice but as I've mentioned a few times now, it wasn't something that was done on purpose or over and over. The one time I was trying not to let a truck run me over. The other time was to try to figure out what had happened under controlled conditions. The rev limiter on this thing sounds and feels nothing like the rev limit on a sport bike. It was the first time I had hit the limit on this particular bike and I didn't know what to think of it. I swear it will never happen again. LOL

I didn't buy the Harley to go fast. I bought it for relaxing rides and to get involved with charity events.

In any case, I really do appreciate all of you guy's advice. It was more than a little helpful. You guys are awesome. Thanks again.

If I decide to make another offering to the rev gods I promise to use one of my other bikes.....Ducati 1098 Superbike or Yamaha R1.

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noticed it a couple of days ago when trying to get out of the way of someone in a pickup truck not paying attention. I was in 1st gear and jumped into it hard trying to put distance between us. The RPMs seemed to roll on as normal until I hit 45MPH or so. Then the RPMs "ran away" and the bike stayed the same speed.
THAT USED TO BE CALLED GOVENORED

1 - 20 of 23 Posts