Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help a friend out with this issue. Her Softail Deluxe wouldn't start for her other day. She took the battery and had it load tested and everything checked good. I've explained the trouble-shooting process for checking battery, voltage regulator, stator check, all with a meter. However, she took her primary derby cover off and notices a funky smell, compared it with her husbands bike whick has no smell at all coming from the primary. Would it be safe to say to just go ahead and start stator removal, or still go through all the checks?:biker:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Trying to help a friend out with this issue. Her Softail Deluxe wouldn't start for her other day. She took the battery and had it load tested and everything checked good. I've explained the trouble-shooting process for checking battery, voltage regulator, stator check, all with a meter. However, she took her primary derby cover off and notices a funky smell, compared it with her husbands bike whick has no smell at all coming from the primary. Would it be safe to say to just go ahead and start stator removal, or still go through all the checks?:biker:
If the bike is pre-2007, pulling the stator is not awful, but it's enough work that I'd want to mark sure it was bad before I started taking suff apart.

If it is 2007 or newer, the inner primary casing has to come off to get it out. It's a much bigger PITA. I have read of some guys grinding the inner down a bit to get them apart, but either way, it's more work.

That said, the dying stator is a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. :) You're probably on the right track.

In case you don't get the joke:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stator

I've had to do mine on a 2007, just used a drimle and shaved the extra material away so I could pull the magnet housing off to get to the stator. My concern with her issue even though it may very well be the stator, without trouble shooting the entire system she wont know if theres another problem that caused the stator to go bad and may end up right back where she was after spending time & money on the stator job. Woundering how others feel about that.:think

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I've had to do mine on a 2007, just used a drimle and shaved the extra material away so I could pull the magnet housing off to get to the stator. My concern with her issue even though it may very well be the stator, without trouble shooting the entire system she wont know if theres another problem that caused the stator to go bad and may end up right back where she was after spending time & money on the stator job. Woundering how others feel about that.:think
If there is one thing I have learned over time... the hard way. Either do it right or don't do it at all. Check out if the stator is bad (probably is) and why it went bad. Any short cuts will probably result in unhappiness... just my .02.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Most agree that when changing the stator, you should probably change the regulator anyway.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If the bike is pre-2007, pulling the stator is not awful, but it's enough work that I'd want to mark sure it was bad before I started taking suff apart.

If it is 2007 or newer, the inner primary casing has to come off to get it out. It's a much bigger PITA. I have read of some guys grinding the inner down a bit to get them apart, but either way, it's more work.

That said, the dying stator is a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. :) You're probably on the right track.

In case you don't get the joke:

SP by Odion - YouTube
It's made with bits of real panther...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stator & Regulator change

Ended up removing & replacing stator & regulator. Battery load tested good. Everything reading within spec. Did the drimle thing to the primary, zip-tied the auto-chain adjuster, everything went good. Thanks for everyones input,my friend is happy I was able to save her some bucks as well as down time and is now ready for the week-end ride. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts