Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which way to go for the frame and a few other components on the ironhead.

It seems to me that powder coating is more durable, but if it does get dinged to the point of needing to be touched up, that is not really possible without completely stripping it and having it re-done.

Paint on the other hand is something I can do and something I can touch up later if needed.

I didn't really turn up many pros and cons in my search. Do y'all have any suggestions?

·
The Angry One
10,576 Posts
Powdercoat is incredibly strong if done right. Paint chips far to easily for frame use, IMHO. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
a word of caution do your research on power coaters i had a really bad time with one who was supposed to to be good. took a tank in the M...F's dented it then tried to say his guys didnt do it. im still pretty pissed off about that. made him pay for a new tank. from now on NOBODY touch's my bike but me. period . so really check them out and take pics of before and after. good thing i took pics. now if it would just get warm so i can paint it.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,689 Posts
I think that powder coating is overrated. I think that it chips easier than paint, mostly because it is thicker than paint. Motorcycle frames have been painted for a very long time.

Most, if not all of the finish on your Harley is painted, not powder coated. What I like most about paint is that it can be touched up and power coating can't.

Where powder coating seem to make sense is on components that get pretty hot. Other than than I'd vote for paint.

Pete

I'm trying to decide which way to go for the frame and a few other components on the ironhead.

It seems to me that powder coating is more durable, but if it does get dinged to the point of needing to be touched up, that is not really possible without completely stripping it and having it re-done.

Paint on the other hand is something I can do and something I can touch up later if needed.

I didn't really turn up many pros and cons in my search. Do y'all have any suggestions?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still researching it. It seems I remember Dave63 posting somewhere that the clear coat on new Harley's was powder.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
Frames haven't been painted on motorcycles since the late 80's. Harley has used powdercoating over their paint (clear coat) since 1995.

Powder coating is super strong, however, Urothane paints are strong as well, and are more "rubbery" and can resist chipping too. However, Urothane, plus activator, plus hardener is becoming more costly, as powder coating prices are becoming cheaper.

I've had both.

Powder coating used to be for the rich. Now, it's common-place. I can take a frame to my powder coater, drop it off Monday morning and pick it up wednesday. Cheaper than paint too and more resistant to heat and chemicals than paint.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. I am headed to Oklahoma this weekend, and bring the Ironhead back with me so I can get started on it again. Looks like I will be sending frame off for powder coat soon.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If your frame has been modded at all i.e molded and body filler has been used to smooth out any seems than you cannot powder coat without removing the filler. With respect to repairing a chip in powder coat you can do it like you would do a chip in paint as long as you can get a good color match

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
If your frame has been modded at all i.e molded and body filler has been used to smooth out any seems than you cannot powder coat without removing the filler. With respect to repairing a chip in powder coat you can do it like you would do a chip in paint as long as you can get a good color match
Agreed. Body filler won't tolorate the heat of powder coating. However, guys use JB-Weld in place of body filler and that works fine.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe the frame is unmolested. I will check it out better when I get it stripped down. Thanks for the tip on JB Weld. I'll remember that if it becomes necessary.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another question:

I want to get the jugs powder coated. Should I have any concern with what temperature their oven is? I mean I know these things are designed to handle and dissipate a certain amount of heat, so how hot would be too hot to cure them?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,306 Posts
Powdercoat is set at less than 200*. I believe it starts to melt at 150-155* and sets (hardens) at 190-210. Depends on brand and powder size.

Your cylinders see more than that. OEM cylinders are powder coated from the factory.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.