Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have vivid black 14 SG and looking to coat the fuel console and crash bar. What is your guys thought on powder coating those items vs leaving the chrome? Will the chrome hold up better vs the powder coating? ImageUploadedByMO Free1412763938.254274.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1412764000.532880.jpg

·
Registered
39,541 Posts
I like powdercoating.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a guy about 2 hours away that will sandblast the parts, cook it, then spray and cook again as he walked me through the process. I got the horn cover from him and it was perfect. I know black shows all but want to make sure with those items they will hold up good. I have to make my mind up as I am taking the parts to him in 2 weeks

·
Registered
934 Posts
My console did scratch some but the crash bar and turn signals looked great. Floor boards and brake were great also.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My console did scratch some but the crash bar and turn signals looked great. Floor boards and brake were great also.
Where you glad you did did the console? How bad was it scratched? Guess I will have to be extra careful

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,329 Posts
those bikes look great, but I came from the 60's . . . . CHROME CHROME on the Range!

I love all the chrome on my Heritage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those bikes look great, but I came from the 60's . . . . CHROME CHROME on the Range!

My last bike was chromed till the hill rims, engine, foot pegs, handlebars, you name it and I hated cleaning it lol. I am a funny guy cause I don't like my bike dirty at all when I ride. Black helps with the polishing but still needs cleaned.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm am chromosexual; love all the shiny brilliance. But I have heard once you go black...

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just want to make sure I am making a good decision. I know chrome last a long time and does good job hiding scratches. I just want to ensure the crash bar and fuel console holds up good and will not look like crap in a year.

·
Registered
39,541 Posts
Ive had powdercoat on my bike for 10 years now.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Your bike must be the one Jeff helped you with.
Don helped with the build. I loved the console black. Just Minor scratch or rubs from the seat as usual. Chrome looks great. I just love blackin it out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has the console held up good outside of the seat rubbing? A guy wants $300 for the console, engine crash bar, fender covers, and headlight trim. I am trading parts so it will cost me $100. If you can send me some pictures of your pic a few more that would be great.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts