Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to swap from stock cam chain tensioner setup to gear driven cams. Since I am going that far, I thought I would upgrade to Andrews 26G cams. The bike is a 2006 FLHTi (electra glide standard). I am running a K&N air filter with stock exhaust, but sometimes changed over to stockers with the baffles opened up and inch. My mechanic thinks the stock fuel controller will be fine with this set up and adjust itself as needed. I tend to agree. Do any of you know if the stock ecm will do an adequate job? I know for best results I need a tune, but going gear driven tops the budget by itself. Would a HD dealer be able to simply "reflash" my stock ECM for my new conditions?
I have cross posted in the fuel section, but was hoping to get a little more feeback here.
I really hate to have this much work done and keep stock, but gear driven cams.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to answer myself here, I could get by without a fuel tuner with just my K&N filter and punched out stockers or the stock pipes, but going to the more aggresive cams would require a fuel tuner and a dyno tune to run properly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Usually as soon as you go to an air filter that flows more air you need at least a tune. You can get away with just changing the exhaust usually but more air in usually means a tune or a tuner

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Your going to be better off getting a tuner and opening that exhaust up to really get the full benefit from the cam change IMO.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your going to be better off getting a tuner and opening that exhaust up to really get the full benefit from the cam change IMO.
Yes I know, I do have 3 choices of slip-ons I can try. Just got where I like quiet better than loud :)

I will probably just bite the bullet and get a power commander V, its only money.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I wouldn't do cams without a fuel manager. That PCV will be tunable to the exact cam, air cleaner and exhaust you choose.

And, there are quiet performance mufflers you can get that'll improve performance without being loud.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
going to the more aggresive cams would require a fuel tuner and a dyno tune to run properly.
Slight correction, a fuel tuner OR a dyno tune. You can certainly do both if you wish, but either one alone will do the job. Note, you'll need to program the tuner with a custom map or a "canned" one for the interwebz, but you don't need a dyno for that.

And, there are quiet performance mufflers you can get that'll improve performance without being loud.
Personally I love sound of my 4" Rineharts. Yes, louder than stock, but not ear splitting either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts