Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a power commander on my 08 Street Glide. I loaded up a canned map for the pipes and air cleaner I had and took it for a ride. As soon as I came to a stop, engine dies. Seems very strong otherwise, but dosen't like to idle. Starts right back up and runs fine, even at idle, but intermittently, putt! Just like someone hit the kill switch. Called dyno jet/power commander, they say send it in for repair/replacement. Here we go... I should have been patient and waited for the Thunder-max for the 08 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one has no separate ground. Just plugs into oem controller. It takes power and ground straight from the ecm power and ground wires. I took the power commander out and rode it. No more stalling. Put it back in and it died within 30 seconds. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a power commander on my 08 Street Glide. I loaded up a canned map for the pipes and air cleaner I had and took it for a ride. As soon as I came to a stop, engine dies. Seems very strong otherwise, but dosen't like to idle. Starts right back up and runs fine, even at idle, but intermittently, putt! Just like someone hit the kill switch. Called dyno jet/power commander, they say send it in for repair/replacement. Here we go... I should have been patient and waited for the Thunder-max for the 08 models.
I have the same problem with my 08 street glide after installing a pcIII (been jacking with it for 2 weeks) and today I went to HD to see what they could tell me about it and was told they are having some issues with fl,s and pcIII.
Im dropping the bike off tuesday for a new ECM and that should solve the problem? Ill let you know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power commander idle issue 2008 Road king

Just thought i would add to that issue. Have just installed PCIII to a 2008 Road King and seems fine on the Dyno untill you let it idle for about 30-60 seconds...then poof! the engine stops. Took the power commander off and connected back to stock....now idle is stable, no problems. Called Dynojet for tech support and was told to send it back.

I have used PCIII's in our shop for a few years now with only one issue prior to this one.

FLHXTCY did you get a response from Dynojet Co? have you re-fitted the unit? Be real interested to know if you have it sorted

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bodyman247 the difference is the power commander unit is a piggy back module that rides between the ECM and the injectors. The power commander can only add or subtract fuel and advance or retard timing over the base ECM calibration.

The SERT is an interface device with software that plugs into the ECM and uploads a new calibration file. Once the calibration file is uploaded the SERT interface is then dis-connected, so it does not stay on the bike.

The Power Commander relies on the base ECM calibration file being in good order, close to the actual requirements of the engine AFR's, and adds or subtracts fuel for refined tuning. It works well within this framework. It also has tune on the fly, which is great on a load cell dyno chassis.

The SERT has much more adjustment features, like idle speed, Idle air control, warm up enrichment etc, but tuning with a SERT requires more time. Professional tuning with a sert requires "Run, test-record AFR, stop, adjust map, upload & retest" and on up through the ranges. A heavily modified engine can require many hours to get it right. The main advantage is the ability to start with a fresh calibration file that approximates the engine set-up and go from there.

So it depends on your actual needs. If you have fitted some pipes, air filter kit and your base ECM calibration is stock, then power commander usually is all you need. If you have modified the engine well outside of stock range, I prefer to use the SERT.

Other issues with powercommander units I am running into lately is getting them fitted into the actual bikes under the seat. Late softail (escpecially Duece) Dyna chassis models and 08 Touring bikes with ABS brakes. There just isn't any room to squeeze the unit & connectors in. In these cases now, I am prefering to request the SERT or SuperTuner and spend the time on the Dyno rather than fighting with wire looms, battery, squeeze this and stretch that..and so on.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also just purchased the PCIII, hooked it up w/ the map I need same thing, dies at idle. Going to dealership tomorrow see whats up will let you guys know. I'm thinking POS and buying something else, any recommendations?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My suggestion....wait for Thundermax to be released in January for the 08-09 Throttle By Wire touring bikes...no need for all that Dyno time...auto tunes itself.

·
Registered
39,499 Posts
There was a member on this forum that put the ThunderMax on his bike (Non TBW bike) and gave it a good review.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the answer to all your problems

Read my story.

Get rid of the pcIII and all PC. I had a 01 roadking and put a PC on it, I had no problems after a year and numerous trip back to the dealer. After about 2 years it went out completely and me like a moron I let them put another one on my bike, a year later it went out, so I took it off the bike and sh*t canned it and sold the bike.
Purchased a 06 streetglide and let the dealer talk me into a race tuner for my bike, after having a 103 stroker installed, it was a peace of crap the bike never ran the way I thought it should.
I did some searching of my own and guess what I found
( ZIPPERS- THOUNDER MAX) this was the best investment I have ever made in a Harley-Davidson I love it the bike loves it and my wife loves it. NO MORE PROBLEM at all (none), I've had it on the bike for 2 years, the first year I put it on I went to Daytona bike week and Zipper's were there so I told them I had installed a thounder max but had just upgraded to a bigger cam and a Baker
DD6 tranny, I wasn't having any problems just wanted them to double check my map and they did at no charge and even showed me all the different things I could do with it and all the map I could use for my application.

Ok I know this is a long story but what I am trying to say is call them up and just talk to them and let them explain all the great things you can do with this device (Thounder Max) and no more (DYNO'S) just ride your bike like you always do and be amazed at the perfomance you get out of it.

My StreetGlide is still amazing me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wish I would haved gotten one,i have no problems with my SERT, but was told about a T-MAX a week after I got my bike dyno'd.:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts