Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i had the fuel pak on my 06 dyna and even then it would still pop and hiccup on cold start up..i had just taken it off start up is a little better but now it pops like crazy!! my question is if i get the power commander will it fix both the popping and the hiccup on cold starts?and if those who own the power commander is it worth it?

·
blk bassani thunder
1,248 Posts
ok well i had the fuel pak on my 06 dyna and even then it would still pop and hiccup on cold start up..i had just taken it off start up is a little better but now it pops like crazy!! my question is if i get the power commander will it fix both the popping and the hiccup on cold starts?and if those who own the power commander is it worth it?

Ok, someone correct me if i'm wrong in which I'm still learning here. I think the fuel pak and power commander are very similar on how you tune your bike. Now the SE race tuner has more options to tune your bike with than the other 2. Check your ignition compnents on the popping before you go switching your computer software. Maybe a misfire. Not sure like I said I'm still learning this bike stuff.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
Popping is an indication of a lean condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know its been running lean hence why i got the fuel pak but it doesnt explain the hiccup on cold start..but that could be lean too? ive already replaced the igniton componets except for the coil.....and i know the powercommander has more "tuneability"...im still just curious about the cold start hiccup?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea man i hear ya but when i took the fuel pak off the cold start problem lessend and now its just one or two hiccups and the bikes fine???thats the confusing part and i even put the fuel pak back on to test and it got a hell of a lot worse...i was over at south padre island at bikefest over there and i decided to have it dynoed and afterwards the guy checked it out and flat out told me my fuel pak had shorted out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he had check it after the run plugged in some computer to the DLC and it was not changing any values..now i was reading about the fuel pak and vance and hines wont give you value descriptions for you to fine tune on your own while the pc has a whole program to do so..but ill check on that ground but anyway i can check the sensor besides heading to the dealership? if i head there i gotta put the old pipes and the air cleaner back on im not to worried about the pop from the exhaust like i said its the hiccup coming from the intake that is still unsettelling

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah....not sure about that. A lot of guys are coming up with issues with their Head temp sensors, which is why i mentioned it. Some work intermitantly and others not at all. Some respond to cleaning...

My concern with your complaint, (unless you aren't communicating it correctly) is your COLD running. If your FP wasn't working at all, you'd see a severe lean issue in your dyno run.....especially in the midrange.

If it were an issue with your FP or PCIII, you'd see it while running at normal running temps, not when cold, IMHO. Not when cold....

If you do a Dyno run, then let the bike sit for 15 minutes, that's not enough time to be considered "cold".

How does the bike run on the dyno and what are the a/f mixture values through the rev range?

How's the power making abilities in the 3.5-5K range?

Is there a dip in the HP chart?

Is the a/f lean throughout? In the middle? At the end?
yea its cold but just hearing that hiccup out the air cleaner kinda worries me...i just actually started it up right now and i had let it sit for about 6 hours without the fuel pak it had hiccup anout 4 times out the intake and then nothing with the fuel pak it was about a good doezen or more and it would stall out as well....its just a little confusing and i cant seem to find my dyno sheet right now but ill get back as soon as i can. but hey another small question while im at it will regular fuel inj cleaner have any negative effect on the bike..it had been sittin for 8 months before i took it over and i replaced the plugs a wires to be on the safe side but never ran and cleaner for the fuel system

·
Registered
212 Posts
Any of the piggy back systems will be plagued with the same cold start issues. The only way to tune out cold start hiccups and stuttering is to change the cold enrichment tables. The only way to do that is with a SEPST or MasterTune to reprogram the ECM, or going with a ThunderMaxx system that replaces the stock ECM.

No matter what you do with a piggy back device, it just doesn't have the capabilities of correcting cold engine startups, without adversly effecting the warm engine running characteristics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aight guys i appreciate the input man i was just wondering what was up imma go ahead a get the pc anyway id just feel better being able to adjust it myself and so on the fuel pak and no know adjustablity so its no bigge i found a new one on ebay for cheaper.....again i appreciate all the input and i apologize for asking several times it was just a concern of mine but if its not major im fine...i just get paraniod its kinda my baby im sure you guys can understand

thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed aPCV on mine perfect. Fuel motto with map, perfect.
Any harley product uses stock o2 sensors is EPA 14. AFR. bad. 13.8 good. using closed loop or wide band 02 add on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts