Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't need a power commander for stage one. Unless you plan on doing some things down the road. I was just at my dealer today and asked about the stage 1 told me $160 nothing else needed if I provided the filter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The PC is an excellent product.

That said, your bikes performance will be dictated by the map they load on it, not the PC itself.

Good map = good move
Bad map = not so good move

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Don't need a power commander for stage one. Unless you plan on doing some things down the road. I was just at my dealer today and asked about the stage 1 told me $160 nothing else needed if I provided the filter.

"Need" - no, but assuming the right map, it will improve operation over stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Get the download, see how it runs. You'll most likely end up needing a fuel management device though.

Short shots are hard to tune the popping out of.

·
Delusional43
43 Posts

You don't have to put on a tuner on but its a very good idea to either have a tuner or map download to your ECM this is why. When you put on aftermarket pipes and a high flow air cleaner you have just changed the air/fuel ratio mixture because now your allowing more air into the engine which means you've leaned out the mixture. Running lean means you have more air than the stoichiometric ratio which is 14.7:1. Having a bike running lean will make it run hotter because you don't have as much fuel which helps cool the engine. Running lean also adds to the amount of friction that you have. Neither are good things. I not saying the bike won't run but it definitely wont run optimally and will add to the wear on the bike. My question is why would you want to add pipes and an air cleaner and not get the performance gains from them that you could if you got a download or a tuner?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A guy at the harley dealer said it would be a good idea to do a pc with having the pipes amd stage one air cleaner on it....eventually I would like to do a dyno tune but for now I'm hoping the power commander will make iy run better with the having the pipes and intake...cant hurt right?

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
A guy at the harley dealer said it would be a good idea to do a pc with having the pipes amd stage one air cleaner on it....eventually I would like to do a dyno tune but for now I'm hoping the power commander will make iy run better with the having the pipes and intake...cant hurt right?

Like chas said, it will definitely help IF you get the right map. The right map may result in a little decel popping, but will also result in improved performance (tq, hp, cooler temps). Good luck.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Also, you can try lots of maps and change them whenever you like. Play until you like it. Then, when you do a mod, play again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did a full stage 1 upgrade myself. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic Electra Glide, added a K&N Intake, Cobra Head pipe, Cobra Mufflers and a Cobra PPower Pro Tuner. Best thing about this tuner is there is no mapping or dyno required. It self tunes 80 times a second and when you change performance parts it will self adjust for the changes. Took about a half an hour to install the tuner. This is the second bike I have used the Cobra tuner on, got it for $430. Worth every penny in my opinion.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
I just did a full stage 1 upgrade myself. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic Electra Glide, added a K&N Intake, Cobra Head pipe, Cobra Mufflers and a Cobra PPower Pro Tuner. Best thing about this tuner is there is no mapping or dyno required. It self tunes 80 times a second and when you change performance parts it will self adjust for the changes. Took about a half an hour to install the tuner. This is the second bike I have used the Cobra tuner on, got it for $430. Worth every penny in my opinion.
That's what I hear about the power commander plug in addition, the Autotune. I like the idea, if it works.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get the download, see how it runs. You'll most likely end up needing a fuel management device though.

Short shots are hard to tune the popping out of.
I agree I have the V&H Short Shots, Air Filter, and Fuelpak....I had it set directly up to my bike...It works great, sounds great, and can feel the power...the only time it pops is when I'm to into the throttle and right before I have to shift I have to back off (back pressure?)....just like if I was going through an intersection and had to come to a sudden stop...but not much on popping....

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's what I hear about the power commander plug in addition, the Autotune. I like the idea, if it works.
Works great...This my second bike that I have used the Cobra tuner on. Installation is simple and a one time deal. The tuner itself hides under the right side cover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked my bike up today runs 1000 times better harley did a good job with the pc runs cooler throttles more responsive engines running cooler snd the power is their great decision on the pc bikes running perfect very minimum popping and bikes running and sounding better very happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts