Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
Excellent. Did you program it yourself or have them do it?

If they did it, did they pick a map or dyno it?

Glad you're happy with it, man.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They ended up doing they picked a map and used it and ot runs so much better very minimum popping good throttle response and all very pleased with the powercomnnader.eventually id like to have it dyno tuned and maybe more motor work....thats whats good about th PC u can.changes maps and set a custom one.for your.bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was going to have my 07 883 that is set up like yours with the short shots and SE intake dyno'd but the guy at the Indy said that if I was running the PC III map for that combination I would be wasting money on dyno time. He said the PC III was a pretty good set up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've never done Stage 1 or further, so haven't really paid attention.

But now I'm thinking about new pipes and air breather.

When you guys talk about maps vs. dyno, am I understanding correctly that a map is just a predetermined setting where the bike can be hooked up to a machine and set to account for whatever changes you made (new pipes, etc)? And dyno means that you hook it up to a different machine and it'll set things EXACTLY for your particular bike and new pipes or whatever you put on?

And why do you sometimes have to install a module (power commander as an example), but sometimes it can just be set by the dealer and you don't have to have a module in place?

Hope my post somewhat makes sense. This is new to me because like I said, I've never modified any of my bikes like that. The most I did was put slip-ons on my Heritage that I don't have anymore.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
On EFI models, the dealer can do a "Stage-one download" to the ECM (bike's computer). This will increase the AFR (mixture) to roughly accommodate for increased air in (A/C) and increased air out (performance exhaust).

A fuel manager (RaceTuner, PowerCommander, etc.) has pre-programmed maps for most combinations of air cleaners (A/C) and exhausts, specific to the make and model of each.

Most can also be dynoed instead, where a tech can set the AFR throughout the entire range of RPM, for a little more precise tune.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks Chief. That makes sense. So I assume the main reason a person would buy a fuel manager is because they can change the program if they decide to make more modifications later?

Otherwise it seems like you would want to dyno it, if you knew you were going to stick with that exact combo of pipes/air cleaner.

And from the way you describe the stage-one download above, I'll bet that's the cheapest way to go but not as exact?

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
The download is by far the cheapest and many guys are very satisfied if they only did air cleaner and pipes.

I had my PCV dynoed and I doubt the results are very much better than if I had just looked up the PCV map for my air cleaner and mufflers.

If I had it to do over again (and I may still) I'd just get the AutoTune feature for the PCV which adjusts on the go as you ride and will also readapt if you do additional performance mods. No need for new mapping or dyno time.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Chief covers most all of it nicely.

I'll add a little. There are 2 different kinds of tuners, piggy back and flash.

Piggy back tuners trick the ecm into doing what they want, and usually work well.

Flash tuners actually inject the desired tune into the stock ECM.

Ok I lied, there are also a couple of tuners that replace your ECM with their own ECM.

For popular combinations the piggyback tuners generally work pretty good, but you won't be able to have a dyno tech fine tune every thing.

The flash tuners generally give access to all the variables in the tune, thus giving the dyno tech or you (depending on the model) the ability to tune them all. These tuners are great for odd combinations of parts or for the OCD among us.

Many of each type have "auto tune" modules that can be added. Most of these modules actively tune your bike to an AFR that you (or your dyno tech) selected. Some do more.

As I suggested in another thread I would call Fuel Moto and speak with Jamie about the combination of parts you decide on. Those guys are knowledgeable and seem to be honest.

Also if you purchase a tuner from them they give lifetime map support. You simply email them your new combination of parts and they send you a map. (Probably best to call/email first, then buy parts) also they will assist, through phone/email with any issues you have.

Bat Bob has a Dynojet Power Vision from Fuel Moto.

I do not work for Fuel Moto or get paid in any way, those guys have just been awesome to me. Besides those crazy guys live in Minnesota, too dam cold for me. :eek:

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
Chief covers most all of it nicely.

I'll add a little. There are 2 different kinds of tuners, piggy back and flash.

Piggy back tuners trick the ecm into doing what they want, and usually work well.

Flash tuners actually inject the desired tune into the stock ECM.

Ok I lied, there are also a couple of tuners that replace your ECM with their own ECM.

For popular combinations the piggyback tuners generally work pretty good, but you won't be able to have a dyno tech fine tune every thing.

The flash tuners generally give access to all the variables in the tune, thus giving the dyno tech or you (depending on the model) the ability to tune them all. These tuners are great for odd combinations of parts or for the OCD among us.

Many of each type have "auto tune" modules that can be added. Most of these modules actively tune your bike to an AFR that you (or your dyno tech) selected. Some do more.

As I suggested in another thread I would call Fuel Moto and speak with Jamie about the combination of parts you decide on. Those guys are knowledgeable and seem to be honest.

Also if you purchase a tuner from them they give lifetime map support. You simply email them your new combination of parts and they send you a map. (Probably best to call/email first, then buy parts) also they will assist, through phone/email with any issues you have.

Bat Bob has a Dynojet Power Vision from Fuel Moto.

I do not work for Fuel Moto or get paid in any way, those guys have just been awesome to me. Besides those crazy guys live in Minnesota, too dam cold for me. :eek:
Brilliance.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
I feel like I'm surrounded by brilliance in this thread :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Ray, almost every word I typed I learned on this forum in the past two years. I only knew Honda and Yamaha until 2011, and those only a little. We didn't mod those. They were transportation and they were fun,but I've learned that HDs have souls or something. I'm learning as fast as I can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have noticed with the pc very little decel pop temp on the motor has gone done a good bit throttles way more reactive gonna have it dynod down the road the harley dealers down here have this thing called rider rewards u spend money u get money so im gonna use that money for the dyno I highly recomend the pcv...now its timenfor roland sands clarity design timing cover and derby cover than some drag bars and id like to do the one peice seat instead of the one up I have now

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts