Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you read the shock pre-load settings on a Sportster?

I have a '15 XL883L everything is pretty much bone stock except I added a 2-up seat.

I tried adjusting the shocks one setting from where they were... (pics below). It now seems as though the bike sits just a tad lower than before I adjusted them, and what I was going for was a little stiffer.

what setting are mine currently on? Are they on #2 or #4? I'm pretty sure that I have the 5 setting set up.

Thanks everyone

Exco

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have no idea which is 1 and which is 5. if 1 is softest, you are on 2.

You can see that the notches are slanted. As you turn that collar, it moves up the shock a little higher with each notch and thus compresses the spring. The more compressed the spring. The more pre-load on the suspension making it sag less under weight and be stiffer.

If you jack the frame until the wheels are off ground, you can then measure the complete travel of the suspension. Measure the complete length of the shock from the center of the mount bolt to the other center.

With bike sitting and your total weight on it, it should measure 2/3 of that measurement.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
It looks like you are one step from the softest. They are like stairs, the higher the notch, the more "pre" load (stiffer) on the springs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I thought perhaps I was beginning to lose my mind (at least what was left of it)

Exco

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
With my 12" Progressive HD 412's two notches up from lowest setting made the bike ride smoother with just me on it . I'm 230 pounds !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts